_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Paint problems
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 01:22 PM UTC
Hi guys

Hey folks, I've got a problem. For the second time I've sprayed the willys jeep I'm building, and for the second time the paint job came out bad. Allow me to explain. First my air brush is dead so I'm back to using cans. I'm using Testors Model Masters Olive Drab. The kits been cleaned, primered, then sprayed. and twice now I get shiny spots around some of the detail peices. The first time it happen I sanded the kit down reprimered it and repainted it. I just checked on it and it happen again. Not as bad as the first time, but its still there. The room is heated, and I made sure the can was well shaken. If anyone has a clue as to what I'm doing wrong please help.

Thanks again
Wolfsix
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 01:37 PM UTC
Sounds like the paint isnt getting mixed well enough... Id try this, once you think you have shaken the living crap outta the can, shake it for a few more minutes, just to be safe.. Then try again... or maybe its a bad can.. Id check the lot numbers and avoind that run if that turns out to be the problem..
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 01:43 PM UTC
If the color is uniform over the model, why not just apply a flat coat? Of course this would be done lastly - after decals and wash.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2004 - 01:56 PM UTC
Sounds like a mixing problem to me also. I usually shake for a while before Im even ready and then shake again before I start spraying. Ive never had this problem though I do have shiny areas after washing with oils. As Kencelot suggested ... just finish off with a matt cote!
I also place my tin in a jug of warm water before spraying also. It spreads better. I read somewhere, once upon a time, by somebody that they shake/stir for at least 2 minutes. So it could depend on how long your shake is. As well as shaking I try to swirl the ball bearings inside around the insides to lift the pigment that may it there.
 _GOTOTOP