_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Panda Models 2S6M Tunguska
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:14 PM UTC
Has anyone built this model?

Did you have any problems with the kit? Missing parts, wrong parts number in the instructions, vague instructions, poor fit and so on?

I have been on and off this build for quite some time due to the many problems I have encountered.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 10:55 PM UTC
Did you try the "search" option at the top of the page?
There were at least a couple of posts related to building this kit, easy to find if you search for "Panda Tunguska"
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 - 11:01 PM UTC
I found the two build threads and the review thread but I was wondering if anyone else had additional information.
Phael_minis
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 12:31 AM UTC
I built it some time ago and it's a very complicated kit, especially the machine gun. There is a part missing too. But the result can be nice!
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi;

I have built Two Tunguska's in the past; And they are A Challenge and only for A Expierenced builder. If you take your time and Study the parts and compare them with the instruction's and dry Fit everything, then there should be No Problems. Its Not A kit you are going too build in A couple of Days, the Turret is A Complex affair as is the Guns ! The tracks like all the others are the Most Time consuming part of the build. In the end you will have A Great Subject Vehicle that you don't see often at Hobby Shows.---

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
mokush
Visit this Community
Heves, Hungary
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 10:53 AM UTC
Hello
I've recently finished this model (primer on).
The problematic side:
- All the parts must be sanded carefully, because there are only some of them
- Removing flesh and sanding is not easy, because of the poor quality of the plastic
- there are a lot of very small parts, those are tricky to remove from the sprues (overengineered kit), it also means very small surfaces to glue
- one part (B102 - a vision block) is missing. You have 1 instead of two
- no clear parts at all
- some of the PE parts have no fold lines marked
- assembly instructions cannot be trusted (wrong numbers, missing parts, etc...)
- some parts must be modified to fit each other
- you have a plastic part to fold the big PE parts under the guns, but this is not mentioned in the instructions... funny guys.

The OK side:
- the arranging of the parts on the sprued are logical
- very fine details (under the flesh)
- no other Tunguska in plastic

The tracks will be replaced to Friul, so I cannot comment them.

Anyway, this is a very nice model if buit, but needs much more attention then the others. Panda did everything to include as many "traps" as they could to make your life difficult
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - 02:16 PM UTC
I have it arriving later this month....sounds just like the Panda M-ATV I am working on currently
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 02:47 AM UTC
Folk might find this interesting:

http://panzer35.ru/forum/45-13344-1

HTH
Andy
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 07:17 PM UTC
Thank you for the answers guys. This kit had me wondering about my abilities. I consider myself an experienced assembler of kits. I build mainly warships in 1/350 and 1/700 scale and tried my luck in armor modelling for the past couple of years.

Here is my current progress with the kit:

My biggest issues were the following:
-Wrong part numbres on the instructions resulted in an awful fit-assembly of the left gun and missile assembly.
-The plastic is too soft and shrinks when using glues such as humbrol, revell or testors. This resulted in the tracks shrinking, ejecting the sprockets from their mount as the glue cured. I had to add two links on each side and conduct serious surgery on the sprockets, replacing 7 links per track side.
- As you mentioned, there is no left periscope on the commander 's hatch.
- Tedious clean-up of parts from moldlines and misformed molds.
- I will replace all the plastic handles you see on the model.
- Some parts do not fit on their attachment points and need trimming.
- The photoetch is way too thick and does not have bending lines of any form, as you too mentioned.
- I realised that these are chains for holding the big photoetch part in place and need replacements.
- Overenginnered parts that do not add to accuracy. You end up with an overdetailed mess.

There are many other issues thay I cannot remember right now.

And this is the cherry on top:

Quoted Text

Folk might find this interesting:

http://panzer35.ru/forum/45-13344-1

HTH
Andy

Assuming this guy is correct and that Panda has announced a TOR-M1 (PH-35008), which I really was looking forward to, I will think twice before buying another kit from them.

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 08:01 PM UTC
Ok, I have the kit, I have not started building it yet.

To be fair to all kits ever made and to be made, Russian armor modellers ALWAYS have to scratchbuild some major component that they find to be incorrect. It is almost pathological on a social scale. They all seem to be born extreme rivet counters. (So take their reviews as being well informed...but with a grain of salt about how to deal with the models. Their idea of fun is not exactly the same as mine. What is the old joke: There isn't a model made that a Russian armor modeller hasn't wanted to throw in the trash and just scratchbuild an accurate one.)

Next, as we (Modellers) demand more accurate models, that means more intricate models with more parts and smaller parts. Some of the models are going to be "tests" on the manufacturers abilities...they do have to recoup costs on all the work they are doing. This kit was one of Panda's early ones...maybe they bit off more than they could chew for their ability?

That said, this kit is a mess. When the reviews and advice say "Experienced modeller needed" they mean someone who has suffered through heartbreaking resin kits, vacu-formed kits, and some of the more painful kits of the past (DML's Imperial line, via Alan, SU-76 comes to mind). You can't just have built 2 dozen Tamiya or Tasca kits and think you are experienced. This is not a kit for the faint of heart.

But it can be built superbly OOB. I have seen a few. It just takes patience and skill...and time.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That said, this kit is a mess. When the reviews and advice say "Experienced modeller needed" they mean someone who has suffered through heartbreaking resin kits, vacu-formed kits, and some of the more painful kits of the past (DML's Imperial line, via Alan, SU-76 comes to mind). You can't just have built 2 dozen Tamiya or Tasca kits and think you are experienced. This is not a kit for the faint of heart.

Fair point there. This kit is not for the faint-hearted nor the spoiled modellers (like myself) from the new kits in the market like Meng's. My enthusiasm for the subject made me rush and get this kit, without research and studying the reviews. Should know better next time.

Quoted Text

But it can be built superbly OOB. I have seen a few. It just takes patience and skill...and time.

And that is what I am determined to try and do.
citroend
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 02:47 AM UTC
This model needs a major adjustment
It is advisable to buy from Photoetched E35-169 Russian 2S6M Tunguska Anti-Aircraft to correct inaccuracies
http://www.etmodeller.com/product/html/?376.html
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 02:49 AM UTC
[quote]Ok, I have the kit, I have not started building it yet.

To be fair to all kits ever made and to be made, Russian armor modellers ALWAYS have to scratchbuild some major component that they find to be incorrect. It is almost pathological on a social scale. They all seem to be born extreme rivet counters. (So take their reviews as being well informed...but with a grain of salt about how to deal with the models. Their idea of fun is not exactly the same as mine. What is the old joke: There isn't a model made that a Russian armor modeller hasn't wanted to throw in the trash and just scratchbuild an accurate one.)

]

Agree with this, I sometimes think modellers in Russia take things way too far.

However if the measurements of the real vehicle are correct then this kit is pretty inaccurate in size. Unfortunately not many of us have access to the real thing to measure it.

Andy
 _GOTOTOP