_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
'Anything Goes'
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Armorama: 1,763 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 02:02 PM UTC
OK fellows. Have not posted anything armor related in such a long time. So this is my latest acquisition. I had intended this little dio to be a IOF dio but decided to go for the 'different' approach, as always. Yep. For those who know me, it will not come to a surprise. As my middle name is exactly that. Anyways,this scene represents a Libyan resistance fighter firing at Gaddafi's last loyal militant forces, somewhere down the streets of Tripoli.

'Anything Goes', is the name of this diorama. I got the idea from the pic someone had posted a long time ago. When I saw
it I knew I wanted to model it someway and somehow, my way. It just shows that anything is possible, although not very practical; it just shows that anything can be used to their advantage at any time when the need arises.

The longest and most strenuous part of this diorama was putting this figure together. First, I like the thank Bassam I. Mansour, for his suggest about using different body parts from different kits. One kit he suggested was, "Charlie on the left" from Master Box, Vietnam figure kit as a start. So thatäs what I did. The other kit I used was a body part(torso) taken from the Meng Hi lux kit, which included a one figure, if I remember right.I am no figure builder pro nor am I a figure painter pro.

So this was a project with lots of miss and hits. But I keep telling myself, that I will improve. Just needs more and lots more practice. But so far, I am happy with the results. I also noticed some areas on the figure that needs some touch-ups of paint and also some toning down. So, yes, I do notice it and it will be rectified.

So I hope you like the completed dio, aside from the figure not being up to standard.

Here is the pic that inspired me to build my version:

---------------------------------------------------------------

henrik3056
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 02:09 PM UTC
Very cool idea, i really like your diorama! do you have some in-progress pictures? What kind of glasses does the insurgent wear? They look a little bit strange
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very cool idea, i really like your diorama! do you have some in-progress pictures? What kind of glasses does the insurgent wear? They look a little bit strange

Sorry. No in progress shots, unfortunately. Had no time. The glasses is strange because he thought it would be cool to modify a pair of military goggles. I have seen some strange real life things. So, I just thought modifying a pair of goggles in this fashion would fit right in.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 03:41 PM UTC
Long time no see Charles. This is a nice and original build to return with, nice work as usual.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 04:48 PM UTC
This is a brilliant bringing to life of the photograph. I think you have made a really interesting scene here. I like the way you have expanded the scene from the picture and have included a nice street corner complete with advertisements and bright paintwork as well as a very cluttered street- it really adds a nice bit of context to the scene. The figure is done really well too- you can see him leaning to move the gun in the makeshift shopping cart-mount with the bricks in the bottom. The facial expression is also spot-on too under the goggles. Really nice work Charles!

By the way- is the shop-front scratch-built?
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 06:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a brilliant bringing to life of the photograph. I think you have made a really interesting scene here. I like the way you have expanded the scene from the picture and have included a nice street corner complete with advertisements and bright paintwork as well as a very cluttered street- it really adds a nice bit of context to the scene. The figure is done really well too- you can see him leaning to move the gun in the makeshift shopping cart-mount with the bricks in the bottom. The facial expression is also spot-on too under the goggles. Really nice work Charles!

Thank you kindly for that detailed summery. It was refreshing to hear it. Thank you. The shopping cart is P.E. fret from 'Hauler'. There is another brand or design which is nice as well, but made by another company. Can find out for you if you're interested?
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 06:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Long time no see Charles. This is a nice and original build to return with, nice work as usual.

Yep! It sure has. Been busy with 1/24 trucks and sci-fi stuff.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 06:17 PM UTC
Looks pretty cool. Where did the shopping cart come from?
bprice1974
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 06:54 PM UTC
I really like this diorama a nice change from the usual ones we do. It has got me thinking out of the box for a diorama in the future. The garbage bags and HVAC pump look almost perfect. Thanks for sharing you work.
jrutman
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 07:36 PM UTC
Very cool idea for a scene way out of the ordinary for sure!! Well done as well,like Karl already so eloquently pointed out.
My only suggestion would be about the placement of his head. I think it would look better if it was tilted back more,as now,when viewed from the side,he looks like his focus is on the ground. This may be why one guy already said the googles look a bit weird?
Very nicely done dio!
J
spartan01
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 244 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:07 PM UTC
I love this diorama
the guys glasses and hat look a little off also your billboard looks great you did a great job on the scene
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks pretty cool. Where did the shopping cart come from?

Thanks Gino. It's from Hauler.
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like this diorama a nice change from the usual ones we do. It has got me thinking out of the box for a diorama in the future. The garbage bags and HVAC pump look almost perfect. Thanks for sharing you work.

Thank you. Much appreciated.
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very cool idea for a scene way out of the ordinary for sure!! Well done as well,like Karl already so eloquently pointed out.
My only suggestion would be about the placement of his head. I think it would look better if it was tilted back more,as now,when viewed from the side,he looks like his focus is on the ground. This may be why one guy already said the googles look a bit weird?
Very nicely done dio!
J

Understood. Thanks. I thought about it for a while but I had already tilted his head as far as it would let me. Without the sun glasses he is looking straight on. Its just hard to tell. The goggles make it looks like he is looking slightly downwards.
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I love this diorama
the guys glasses and hat look a little off but you did a great job on the scene

Thank you Frank for your comment.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 08:51 PM UTC
This is really unique & re-creates the photo pretty well. As to the goggles & hat, my view is that this guy is trying to man-handle & fire a large caliber weapon, balanced on a wobbly shopping cart, and it's all he can do to just keep it upright. Ergo the goggles/hat appear to be sliding off. Overall, a very neat scene!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 09:06 PM UTC
Wasn't that original photo a screen-shot from a really bad zombie apocolypse movie?
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is really unique & re-creates the photo pretty well. As to the goggles & hat, my view is that this guy is trying to man-handle & fire a large caliber weapon, balanced on a wobbly shopping cart, and it's all he can do to just keep it upright. Ergo the goggles/hat appear to be sliding off. Overall, a very neat scene!

Could not have said it any better.
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wasn't that original photo a screen-shot from a really bad zombie apocolypse movie?

HA! One would think so.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hey Gharles, this is a great break from the ordinary military figures we see. A lot of civilians have taken up arms in the defence of thier country or belifes. I remember the picture and you have captured the total essence of it. Everything on your base keeps the eye wondering around to search out all the goodies you have placed about. My only point of fixing would be the hat on his head. Two ways to correct it. #1 File or cut down the curve of the head so the ends of the hat sit around it or, #2 which is a P.I.T.A. is to hallow out the hat to fit better. Your figure is not bad from what I can see, and you are right with your statement, it will get better as you go. I have been doing dio's for some 20 years and am still not totally happy with them. But as I look back on a few of my older dio's I see the progress going forward. I guess practice does make perfect. Anyway, a very nice dio. Just looking at it, the story is clear, modeling is good and your colors don't clash. Every thing blends in well. I will have to check out Hauler's web page cause that shopping cart is just cool as all gets. I was dreading the thought of scratch building one for my zombie dio, you just took care of that problem for me. Once again, your dio is very well done and you should be proud of it and you talents. bob d.
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2016 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Gharles, this is a great break from the ordinary military figures we see. A lot of civilians have taken up arms in the defence of thier country or belifes. I remember the picture and you have captured the total essence of it. Everything on your base keeps the eye wondering around to search out all the goodies you have placed about. My only point of fixing would be the hat on his head. Two ways to correct it. #1 File or cut down the curve of the head so the ends of the hat sit around it or, #2 which is a P.I.T.A. is to hallow out the hat to fit better. Your figure is not bad from what I can see, and you are right with your statement, it will get better as you go. I have been doing dio's for some 20 years and am still not totally happy with them. But as I look back on a few of my older dio's I see the progress going forward. I guess practice does make perfect. Anyway, a very nice dio. Just looking at it, the story is clear, modeling is good and your colors don't clash. Every thing blends in well. I will have to check out Hauler's web page cause that shopping cart is just cool as all gets. I was dreading the thought of scratch building one for my zombie dio, you just took care of that problem for me. Once again, your dio is very well done and you should be proud of it and you talents. bob d.

Thank you kindly. Will see what I can do with that cap. Appreciate your help. BTW, here are two links to two different shopping carts to choose from:

1. http://www.hauler.cz/e-shop/1-35-universal-sets-15/shopping-cart-997

2. http://www.royalmodel.com/en/catalogo_dettaglio.php?id_art=507

Jay_Antony
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 12:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The shop-front will be the Reality in Scale one here

http://www.realityinscale.com/epages/61537336.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61537336/Products/35249
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 11:26 AM UTC
Yeah. That's the one.
ti
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 01:03 AM UTC
Added the dispense shells on the ground:

jrutman
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 06:58 PM UTC
The brass looks good man. It is the small details like this that really bring a dio to life IMHO,
J
 _GOTOTOP