_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya 1/25 Tiger I
Charleygnarlyp290
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 09:14 AM UTC
Howdy, all.

I haven't posted in a while and I don't think I have posted any of my models, but figured this was as good a time as any.

The kit, as the title says, is the Tamiya 1/25 Tiger I. The kit was first released in 1969, and this particular kit was given to me as a gift in the late '80s.

One of the big features of this kit was the fact that it had an interior, albeit somewhat sparse.

I started this kit in December and finished it a couple of days ago.

Compared to modern kits, I guess it could be considered somewhat crude, and there are accuracy issues. Some of the detail is a bit soft and there are some things in comparison to the real deal that are completely missing, but for it's day this was quite a kit. The size alone is pretty impressive.

Here are a few pics of the completed kit.

And here is a photo of the Tiger compared to a 1/35 Panzer IV for a size comparison

paintMixer
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 12:14 PM UTC
I love it Brett! I think you did a lovely job on this old classic. I've still got mine, with the original gearbox and motors--but have lost the old remote long ago (not RC). Being that I am an adherent of the "very dated" kits (ultra fun)--I have no complaints about it whatsoever. And those figures are so much easier to detail!
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 01:01 PM UTC
Very nice Tiger kit and I like the work that the OP has done. While the tank is not very accurate it must have been state of the art in 1969
PITERPANZER
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 01:47 PM UTC
Great model and painting camo. I like this old model,even it`s inaccurate today . My project is unfinished still,because I complete new accessories for Tiger.
All list You can find here
Congatulate great Tiger again !
What next in 1-25 scale?
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 02:28 PM UTC
I remember this kit from when I was a kid in the 70's. Just when I'd mown enough lawns, picked up enough pop bottles and cans, and not spent my pitiable allowance on candy and trivial junk, I strode into Sears only to find it was gone!

How I wept inside!

You've done a beautiful job! Love the chipping both inside and out.

Gary
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:24 PM UTC
very nice job! I am curious, just how much more paint did you use on a 1/25 scale compared to a 1/35?
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 05:30 PM UTC
I think this looks great and you've done a beautiful job.
Charleygnarlyp290
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 06:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

very nice job! I am curious, just how much more paint did you use on a 1/25 scale compared to a 1/35?

I am not sure exactly, but for the base coat I would say I used almost 1/2 a bottle of Vallejo Model Air. For the 1/35 Panzer IV sitting next to it I almost couldn't tell I'd used anything at all. And they were both new bottles of paint.

And for the rest of you, thanks for the compliments. This was an enjoyable build. To me, when I was younger this was the ultimate kit to have. So, I guess I can scratch off one of those bucket-list items!
crockett
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 06:56 PM UTC
I've built this kit twice, once in the early 70's, and I found one about 10 years ago. I went fantasy wild augmenting the kit interior with scratch built facsimiles taken from photos. Not even close to accurate, but, it was a blast. This build stayed on display at the local LHS for a year, got a lot of positive feedback. The Maybach was fashioned out of balsa wood ...LOL

Charleygnarlyp290
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 07:39 PM UTC
Wow, Steve, that looks great!
I originally intended to super detail the interior as well, but changed my mind since it was for a group build with a deadline (and I was STILL 46 days late!)
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 05:42 AM UTC
Nicely done! As has been said, the old kit comes from a different era and does have it's issues but it's nice to see a fresh build of this old time favorite. Well done.

Jim
LSA
 _GOTOTOP