_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
57mm M1
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 02:58 PM UTC
Peter Ganchev reviews and builds the 57mm M1 anti-tank gun with crew in 1/35th scale from Riich Model.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 07:19 PM UTC
Thanks for the great review and build. I had been eyeing this kit, but after seeing the figures, I will definitely be taking a pass.

Over the past I have not been fully happy with Riich quality. After Bronco released their 6 pounder, Riich used the same molds and added figures, and the quality of the moldings was no where as good as the Bronco release of the same kit, and just like this one, the quality of the figures was very questionable.

Based on the current price I have seen on Riich new releases, and Bronco new releases, they may be pricing themselves out of the market.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Peter Ganchev reviews and builds the 57mm M1 anti-tank gun with crew in 1/35th scale from Riich Model.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

THANKS for the insightful review! I was thinking about buying this particular kit, but after reading your very comprehensive review, I think I'll pass, instead. Guess I'll build my RESICAST US M1 57mm AT Gun, instead...
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 07:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the great review and build. I had been eyeing this kit, but after seeing the figures, I will definitely be taking a pass.

Over the past I have not been fully happy with Riich quality. After Bronco released their 6 pounder, Riich used the same molds and added figures, and the quality of the moldings was no where as good as the Bronco release of the same kit, and just like this one, the quality of the figures was very questionable.

Based on the current price I have seen on Riich new releases, and Bronco new releases, they may be pricing themselves out of the market.

I tend to agree with you, Kevin. However, BRONCO DOES give you a higher-than-average parts count in their kits. They can be a bit more complicated than other 1/35 kits, but you do get first-rate quality inside the box...

PS- BRONCO also corrects their rare mistakes...

PPS- High prices got you a little "down"? Try the various vendors on ebay- you may be surprised...
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 07:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I tend to agree with you, Kevin. However, BRONCO DOES give you a higher-than-average parts count in their kits. They can be a bit more complicated than other 1/35 kits, but you do get first-rate quality inside the box

I agree with the quality, but I have seen some of the 4 airborne figure sets list for over $36USD, while you seen the newest 4-5 figure sets coming from MasterBox listed at less then $20USD.

Also compare these:

List Price:$57USD

List Price: $72USD

I would think the first kit would have more parts and definately more plastic.

My local hobby store has stopped stocking Bronco, and will only bring them in on special orders due to price. Now in North America, I believe the price issue is being caused by Dragon USA, as they have the exclusive distribution. I have notice the prices in Asia, while seem to be rising for Bronco, don't seem to be as drastic as the price increases in N.America.

pgp000
Visit this Community
Grad Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 53 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 11:55 PM UTC
Admittedly these are my first 35th scale figures and DSLR photoshoot, so I am not authoritative on the quality and detail (and guess my US uniform colors are way off). The poses are great, but the mold quality on the figures is from an earlier era. It's a pity because this appears to be the sole readily available US gun crew that fits the M1.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 02:05 AM UTC
I am still living in the past but $45+/- is too much for me for a small ATG, regardless of the detail.
digger303
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 04:41 AM UTC
agree with you JPTRR
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 12:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am still living in the past but $45+/- is too much for me for a small ATG, regardless of the detail.

I picked up my RESICAST US M1 57mm ATG for $34.95USD + about $8.00 shipping on ebay a few (3 or 4) years ago...

Sure, it's a primarily resin "mult-media" kit, and a lot of modellers prefer plastic, but I thought that I got a good deal...

The $45.00 + price for a small AT Gun IS expensive, but really, it's quite in proportion to the $80.00+ (retail) prices some of us are plunking down for the latest 100cm Schwehre Strurm Kanone auf Pz.XLIII Ausf.Z/47 Sd.Kfz 8000 und eine viertl Selbstfahrlafette (Eingeschossener, Trop.) "Schweinehund"...
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

After Bronco released their 6 pounder, Riich used the same molds and added figures, and the quality of the moldings was no where as good as the Bronco release of the same kit, and just like this one, the quality of the figures was very questionable.

Sorry Kevin but you must be quite mistaken, the Riich and Bronco 6 Pdrs are different tooling and different guns (Bronco AB Mk IV and Riich Mk IV). They are definately not the same major parts with diferent parts for the differing versions and some different parts breakups for major assemblies of parts which should be identical in both versions of the Gun. The quality of molding in my three examples is the equal of Broncos. The Figures in the Riich 6 pdr set RV35042 are easily the equal of the figures in Bronco's CB 35168 although I will concede two figures had a little flash but the detail, fit and quality were equal as are the Guns with a few less fiddly parts on the Riich gun. THe Ammunition sets with decals are again equally as good as each other and contained in both kits.
I personally prefer the AFV club 6 pdr for ease of assembly but having played with all of the available 6 pdr kits from Riich, AFV and Bronco the Bronco gun is the fiddliest requiring a black belt in micro origami for the excessive PE. All three manufacturers are excellent kits and each Bronco and Riich gun comes with Ammo sets and Crews which are easily the equal of each other. In fact they could quite concievably been tooled and moulded by the same manufacturer.
In summary the Riich 6 pdr and M1 57mm kits are the equals of the Bronco AB guns and much better value for money than the AFV club gun as they include crew and extensive Ammo sets.
I decided to check the M1 57mm kit and would concur that the Small arms for the crew suck and some of the Figure detail slightly soft but pretty much on par with most of DML's allied releases (Figures not gear).
Al
 _GOTOTOP