_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
BTR-50 Revived
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 01:04 AM UTC
I managed to obtain Masterclub wheels and replacement tracks, so can go ahead with the 1962 Soviet unit as originally planned. Two questions:

What kind of aftermarket machine gun to stick on?

What sort of figure to come out of the round hatch in front? Uniform and so forth.
Kosakk
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 04:30 PM UTC
This thread is very helpful about uniforms:
http://www.red-alliance.net/forum/index.php?topic=26562.0

Soviet infantry uniforms change little in the first decades after WW2, so theoretically you can use a WW2 figure. But you'll have to change his pouches and swap his rifle (Mosin/PPSh) for SKS, AK-47or AKM. You get the idea from the pics in the thread

From the pictures (of a BTR-50) that I've seen, the headwear of the MG-gunner seems to vary a lot. Some wear an infantry helmet, and some wear tankist helmets. So I guess it's entirely up to you what he should wear.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2016 - 05:06 PM UTC
Tom- just wondering what version of the 50 you are planning? The standard P or PK could mount the SGMB- but I don't believe this was fired by a crew member, it would have likely been a soldier in the troop compartment. I believe on the versions armed with the heavier KPV MG it was mounted differently, over the Commander's cupola if I remember correctly. If it was an un-armed version then a soldiers could fire from the open compartment- probably with an RPK armed soldier at the front.
As for crew members uniforms it would likely have been black overalls for the driver- depending on the era these could be very similar to WW2 versions although by the 70s these had changed to different patterned versions. The Commander, depending on the unit, could also be wearing black overalls but if he was leading the troops in the vehicle, say in a Motor Rifle unit, he would likely be wearing their uniform.
 _GOTOTOP