_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Trump 1/35 Russian BMP-2D IFV built as -2?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 07:04 AM UTC
I have been poking around looking for a review that has the answer, but I'm coming up dry.
Can the Trumpeter 1/35 Russian BMP-2D IFV - TR05585 be built out of the box as a plain BMP-2
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 07:26 AM UTC
Hi;

Yes it can, just Delet the Turret armor and the hull add on armor ! The 2D is the version that the Soviet's developed and then sent them to Afganistan, its just A Basic BMP-2 just with Add On Armor. The Gun is the same 2A42 30mm Cannon. If you want too see the BMP-2 in Combat, then just watch some of the U-tube videos from Syria.

CHEERS; MIKE.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 735 posts
Armorama: 707 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:17 AM UTC
It cannot be built as a plain jane BMP-2 OOB. The kit does not include many of the parts you need to do so. I've got both Trump BMP-2's and I've compared them. I assume it's only a matter of time until Trump release an early one since they've got all the parts you need between the two kits already released.

EDTI: Let me rephrase that, it doesn't include the standard sideskirts and you'll have to fill some nasty holes on the back of the turret to make it a non-D. Otherwise its basically a mod 1980 pending any D specific mods I may have missed.

Erik
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:34 AM UTC
Erik,
That was essentially my question, did they mark up the turret exterior with locator positions for the add on armor, or are they interior locations to drill through a smooth outer turret?
Question 1 answered..
As for the skirts, rats, I was hoping that the standard version skirts were still included.

Are the standard rear hull side parts under the hull side armor as well. Are the base hull pieces there with locators to drill from the inside, or is the base hull modified?
Q 2 answered..

Are the hull/troop compartment and turret basket interior parts still included?

Thanks for weighing in.
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 09:19 AM UTC
The turret rear has some nasty locating slots for the armor but some putty and patience should be able to fix that. The side armor plates just mount on top the armored skirts, so there's no drilling or modification involved there. It appears all the same interior parts are included as well.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 12:01 PM UTC
I don't know the Trumpeter 2-D but on the real ones there is a piece of armor welded on the top of the hull nearby the driver and VC stations. This is specific to the 2-D so you'd have to remove it as well.

Olivier
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:09 PM UTC
I didn't notice before, but there is what appears to be extra armor welded to the upper hull that stretches from just above the first side MG port all the way to the rear of the hull on both sides. Removing that would cause a lot of damage.
Batpatchedscout
Visit this Community
Jihocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 08:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...there is what appears to be extra armor welded to the upper hull that stretches from just above the first side MG port all the way to the rear of the hull on both sides. Removing that would cause a lot of damage.

Nasty Trumpy... That's what I wanted to write... You can wait till the release of next BMP-2, if it comes one day. Now, the only way how to build "slick" BMP-2 (for example of former NVA or CSLA, Kuwaiti forces or Syrian army) is to combine hull of BMP-2 (kit made as No.05584) and turret of BMP-2D (kit made as No.05585)... Except of necessity of filling slots in the rear of (D) turret you have an option of one or two aerials... I decided to follow this way and to buy conversion made by SP Design to use lower part of D hull (without upper part with applique armour welded on) in the aim to build command variant of BMP. Then I will throw only one turret and one upper part of hull with applique armour welded on. I have already bought Masterclub metal tracks and have them assembled and ready...
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 10:11 PM UTC
They have seemed to slow down the release of BMP-2 versions.
I would hope there are more in the pipeline.

This one was on sale at Squadron in the US yesterday and I could not resist.
Thanks for the replies. Looking forward to the new tool kit, DML's is 25+yrs old... and I am 25+yrs oldER...
DerGeist
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 11:16 AM UTC
Glad I could help.

When you think about it, they've released the two most common variants of the BMP-2. I can't think of many places that predominantly used the mod 1980, East Germany being the only one off the top of my head.
Batpatchedscout
Visit this Community
Jihocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Glad I could help.

..I can't think of many places that predominantly used the mod 1980, East Germany being the only one off the top of my head.

Unfortunately I can not agree. Hope, I am not mistaken, but BMP-2s with "kovriki" armour (kit No. 05584) and BMP-2Ds (kit No. 05585) were not exported, at least during USSR existence and following at least 15 and more years. Hence these are used only and nearly exclusively by post-soviet countries. Only "slick" variant of BMP-2 was produced for export and they were exported not only to "third" countries, but even to "the closest allies" - Warsaw Treaty states. Well, it's necessary to mention that during recent years period certain amount of BMP-2s with "kovriki" armour was refurbished by their users and subsequently exported from post-soviet countries to new users for example in Africa, but the numbers of such are marginal...
 _GOTOTOP