_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Crashing the gate, Berlin Civil war 1919
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:28 AM UTC
Ola guys

Something I finished 2 weeks ago. A nice experiment and something totally different. 1:72 vignette of an Austin mk3 crashing a factory gate during the German civil war 1919. The Austin is the excellent Masterbox kit. Painted with tamiya acrylics weathered with oils pigments and weathering products from various brands. The base is made from balsa foam. Very versatile product painted with tamiya acrylics and humbrol enamel. The gatedoors are completely made from styrene painted with tamiya acrylics and weathered with the hairspray technique. The newspapers are made with cigarette paper on which the news is drawn on with pencil. Very enjoyable study in simulating movement and speed in something that is completely static.

Putting things in Perspective

Thanks for watching hope you enjoyed

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:38 AM UTC
Fantastic! Especially as its in 1/72 scale. Love how dynamic it looks. A real feeling of it being in motion. Great job.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:51 AM UTC
This is sooo cool! I think I saw this on FB? Nice.
J
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 12:56 AM UTC
10+/10.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 01:17 AM UTC
Exceptional!! Not only is the sense of motion there, but you can also sense the guys inside the car and the "mob" just out of sight beyond the edge of the pavement.
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 01:56 AM UTC
awesome dio!! the sense of action is really cool
EHAM0624
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 01:59 AM UTC
Very, very nice / Erg fraai!
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 02:08 AM UTC
THAT, my friend, is very cool!
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 02:09 AM UTC
Very nice, lots to look at.
I notice the ruts in cobble stone road and grass growing where it can. Amazing work in such a small piece.
BlackWidow
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 02:46 PM UTC
Outstanding! It's really impressing, how you brought this scene to life. Especially I like how the newspaper is flying around.

Torsten
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 04:09 PM UTC
Briliant 'in action' dio Robert- very dynamic and unique. You've created a really fantastic sense of movement with the wooden gate splintering so realistically and the newspapers fluttering wildly in the street behind as the armored car goes past.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 04:47 PM UTC
Masterpiece!!...
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 09:38 PM UTC
I may make myself very unpopular here but I hope criticism is accepted.

The level of work and detail is excellent. But the newspapers are very out of scale. I don't think I have ever seen a newspaper that was as tall or taller than the fender of any vehicle.

Also, my personal tastes don't include the vehicle "running" off the base. It leaves me with a very unbalanced feeling and wondering "why was that choice made?"

If you know anything about art, the questions you ask are "What was the artist trying to say?" (In this case, I haven't got a clue about running off the base); "How well did he say it?" (The answer to that is easy... the level of detail and work is excellent; and "Was it worth saying?" (this one is always open to interpretation... the story is obvious so I guess it was worth telling).

Just my two cents worth...
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 979 posts
Armorama: 959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 10:15 PM UTC
This is a stunning model and in such a small scale. Its remarkable.

My only comment is that the base is too small, the armoured car going over the edge takes one away from the otherwise super realistic model
FAUST
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 11:38 PM UTC
Thanks everybody for the replies. Really appreciated.

@ Mike
Thanks for the Compliments. I have been wanting to do such a thing in 1:35 for years now but was not sure if it would look convincing. Therefor I kinda did this small scene as a study.

@ Jerry
Thanks to you as well for the kind words. And yeah you probably saw it first on FB. I tend to spend more time there these days.

@ Timothy
Thanks for the top score

@ Jack
You got it right on the nose. It was not only a study in motion and speed but also telling a story in the most modest way possible. I think every part of the diorama should add to a story. And I think I came very close to succeeding.

@ Brian
Thanks for the compliments.

@ Jan
Dank voor de lovende woorden.

@ Mike
Thanks for the compliments.

@ Jonathan
Thanks for the kind words. Oddly enough never during the built did the scene feel small to me. I told a colleague while I was working on it that the base was only 6,5 by 6,5 cm later I measured it again because I could not believe my own measurements

@ Torsten
Thanksfor the compliments man. I'm pretty happy with the newspapers myself. quite easy to do too with the thinnest cigarette paper and a normal pencil.

@ Karl
Thanks for the kind words. As I said in a reply above.. For me it was important that nearly everything in this diorama added to the story and the motion. From the breaking fence. Flying bits of wood. The car overshooting the base. the papers tumbling in the slipstream of the car all add strenght to the story of motion and direction.

@ J.Red
Thanks a lot for the super compliment.

@ Patrick
No worries... any form of feedback is welcome good bad and or ugly. We are all grown ups here right? Allow me to defend my work.

If you never seen a newspaper this large you probably never tried to read an old timey newspaper on the toilet. For a very long time quality newspapers were printed on Broadsheet format. Sizes differ a bit from continent to continent but here in Europe a folded news paper had a frontpage of 597mm wide and 749mm high. Folded open that amounted to 1149mm wide by 749 high. Translate that to 1:72 and you get the dimensions of 16,5mm x 10,5 (or 8,3mm x 10,5 for a folded newspaper) and my newspapers are exactly that.
As to why the vehicle overshoots the base is simple... Speed and motion. This whole project was treated as a study in simulating speed and motion into something completely static. Sure I could make a bigger base where the vehicle does not overshoot the edge but I tried different size bases and found that the scene lost half it's sense of speed that way.
I hope I can convince you that everything you see in this little dio is the result of a lot of thinking. Philosophing (if that is even a word), research and planning. From the size of the newspapers, to the amount of wood flying away from the fence. Even the color of the fence, The angle of motion, all the way to the car overshooting the edge is the result of that.

@ Steven
Thanks a lot for the kind words. It never felt small while working on it.
Asfor the size of the base... I think I explained it best in the reply to Patrick why that decision was made.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 - 11:48 PM UTC
I am right with you on the size of those old timey newspapers. They were much bigger back in the day. Much more to read as they were for many folks,the only way to get the info of the day.
I also love the car overhanging the base. It really adds to the sense of moment.
J
pnance26
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:03 AM UTC
Thanks for the response! And no problem... I can take criticism as well as dish it out and as long as someone can be reasonable, it is worth considering.

Great work in that scale! I prefer bigger for a reason so my hat is off to you!
ropeynz
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:07 AM UTC
I think you have succeeded in injected a great sense of movement both in the windblown newspapers and the 'exploded' gate. Having the vehicle leaving the frame adds to the dynamism. Well done.
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:18 AM UTC
Wow. all that detail, all in 1/72. not to mention the scattering debris is very well portrayed.

amazing work.
Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 840 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 12:59 AM UTC
Truly outstanding workmanship!
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 02:17 AM UTC
Yeah, stunning... And the whole thing looks so delicate, really needs careful handling I'm sure.

The running off the base thing is kind of surprising when you first see it, but it makes total sense if you think about it like a comic book, where this scene might be portrayed with the vehicle punching through the black line of the edge of the frame and out onto the side of the page.

It's great to try something different, even if it doesn't do it for everyone.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2016 - 02:34 AM UTC
I love it. The vehicle going off base very much adds to the dynamics... the whole thing would feel much more balanced if the base was larger.

Stunning work all around.

Mario
kurnuy
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,491 posts
Armorama: 997 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 02:02 AM UTC
Hi Robert ,

excellent work my friend , i lost a few teeth when my jaw fell on the table when i first saw it . It is absolutely astonishing !

Cheers

Kurt
JGphins
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 11:12 PM UTC
Great detail here and true sense of action. Awesome work! Thanks for sharing.
Tankerman
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 - 11:31 PM UTC
A+! Well planned and brilliantly executed. The build quality is superb and the sense of dynamic action is well portrayed. All this in 1/72nd scale... Bravo!
 _GOTOTOP