_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Takom AMX-13/90
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 06:00 AM UTC
Colin Key builds and reviews one of Takom''s latest offerings, the AMX-13/90 light tank.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
falco
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 09:20 PM UTC
Excellent review!, nice to see a 'proper' review instead of most that seem to omit the assembly & accuracy of a kit and rush onto the painting/chipping phase!.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 10:46 PM UTC
Good review Colin. Just one point to add, the dust cover is mandatory on a AMX13/90. It was introduced with earlier variants and required some modifications to the turret. So if you decide not to use the dust cover, you'll have to scratch all the mounting fittings.

Concerning the tracks, while they are correct, they were only used in military training areas (for the French army). If you decide to depict some scenery in a village or a civilian road, you will have to use Space Ace or Friul padded tracks.

Olivier
ColinEdm
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2016 - 11:35 PM UTC
Thanks Tony, I made a conscious effort to document the building of this. It was a fun little build, only took a week. In retrospect I would have done a few things differently, and I really hope a turned barrel and some PE for the fenders and stowage boxes comes out.

Thanks for the additional info Olivier. I did notice the padded tracks in probably 75% of the on-line pictures, I did not know that the all-metal tracks were restricted to training areas. Was that just for domestic units or the export ones as well? Do you know if they were the same tracks with pads added or a different pattern?
bilbobee
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 03:20 AM UTC
Thanks for a real nice build review Colin. It looks like a good build...Cheers
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Was that just for domestic units or the export ones as well? Do you know if they were the same tracks with pads added or a different pattern?

It was the rule in France but certainly in Germany as well where lots of French armor units were deployed.
I can't tell for export versions. The best is to find reference pictures of the country you want to depict.

Unfortunately, the track links are different. The guide horns are offset because of the space needed to bolt the rubber pad on such a tiny track link.

Olivier
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2016 - 03:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I did notice the padded tracks in probably 75% of the on-line pictures, I did not know that the all-metal tracks were restricted to training areas.

It should really obvious that padded tracks would be the only pattern allowed outside training areas. All metal would cause unaceotable amnount said of damage to civilian roads.
LeftyDan
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, February 29, 2016 - 04:36 AM UTC
I've thought about building one of these (thanks world of Tanks) but the only option until now has been the Heller kit.

I'm too assume that this kit is much better in both accuracy and building ease?
ColinEdm
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 29, 2016 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've thought about building one of these (thanks world of Tanks) but the only option until now has been the Heller kit.

I'm too assume that this kit is much better in both accuracy and building ease?

Well, having never built the Heller kit, I can't really comment as to that with any degree of authority, but from what I have seen and heard, this one does look more detailed, more accurate, and easier to build. My experience is that this is an excellent kit, but as with all kits, there are some improvements that could be made.
 _GOTOTOP