_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
"I Will Never Leave a Fallen Comrade!"
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hello All,
I recently was asked by my First Sergeant here at the Fort Sill Warrior Transition Unit if I would build a "wounded warrior" themed piece that will be presented to someone during our awards ceremony tomorrow. I agreed and had to build it quickly due to the tight time constraints and completed it Tuesday evening. It may not be my best work, but I think it turned out really well and has some special meaning to it. In the vignette, representations of Soldiers from the 36th Infantry Division of the Texas Army National Guard (the T-patch) and the 45th Infantry Division of the Oklahoma Army National Guard (the Thunderbird patch) symbolize the units from which the majority of the Soldiers in Fort Sill's WTU were from. There were other units represented here, but like I said, the majority were from the TXARNG and OKARNG. The figures are conversions of Bravo 6's B6-35024 US Navy SEALs (3) Vietnam. I sculpted in the ACU/Multicam uniform details as well as the body armor. The head of the wounded Soldier is the one that came with the kit. The Soldier carrying his wounded buddy received a head from Masterbox's 35170 "Man Down!" kit. His right arm, ACH, weapon, and pouches also came from this kit. I painted the figures using Reaper and Vallejo Acrylics. The groundwork is Magic Sculpt textured with an old toothbrush sparsely covered with sand and pebbles. This was then painted with several colors of acrylics. After this was dry, I used AK Interactive pigments to dusty up the uniforms in the knee, elbow, buttocks, boot area, and the back of the body armor.

I know there are no slings on the weapons like there normally would be. Like I mentioned earlier, I was on a time constraint. The First Sergeant is going to be placing the title plate on the wooden base.

Cheers,
James

Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:09 AM UTC
The pained expression on the wounded guy and the look of determination/resolve on the guy carrying his buddy really convey the essence of the whole scene. Great choice of figures and heads!
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:33 AM UTC
Purely excellent! I'll second the first reply and add that I can really sense movement.

Gaz
DocEvan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 180 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 08:51 AM UTC
We LIKE!!!
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:34 AM UTC
This one hits home buddy! I retired from the 36th ID and I know what it is like being in the WTU, I was in the WTU at Ft. Bliss a while back.

Awesome work for being built so fast. The brothers are going to love it.

By the way, a few threads down, DJ Judge(210cav) was asking about donating models and stuff to the VA. I suggested the WTU. Maybe you can get in contact with him.

TEXAS PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:35 AM UTC
Great work James, I really like the facial expressions.

You've done VERY well
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 10:42 AM UTC
Thanks for all of the positive responses. I appreciate it.

Pete, I think I may have met you at one of the Texas model shows or even at some 56th IBCT event. I've been AGR for the TXARNG since 2002 and served in HHC and B Co 2-112 AR until we had that transformation in 2007 where my company became HHC 3-144 IN. I've been here at the Fort Sill WTU for a while and should be retiring in August. Unfortunately this WTU is closing down and the few of us still here are being moved to other WTUs. I am getting sent to Fort Hood at the end of the month. Once I get to Fort Hood, I will see what the atmosphere is like there and then I will get in contact with DJ.

Were you at Fort Bliss' WTU when SGT Alan Hill was there? He's a big time armor modeler and was a member of my battalion.

Well, I got to hit the rack. I have PT in the morning and it's getting late.

Cheers,
James
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 04:47 PM UTC
Wonderful work James. Its a real testament to your skill that you've managed to take these two SEAL figures and give them modern uniforms and equipment while retaining a great sense of drama and movement. The painting really brings out the great facial expressions and I think the Multi-cam pattern has come out really well.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 07:18 PM UTC
What I would say has already been typed in here by several others so I can only echo what they said. Well done!! AND...on a tight time hack as well.
J
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:17 PM UTC
Hi James,

First, I'll echo the words of others - great project, really nice work. Second, as a model builder trying to get better at making figures, it's downright inspiring work!

Cheers
Nick
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2016 - 09:45 PM UTC
you did a very impressive job on this diorama, especially in the limited time you had. This almost looks the same standard as something that has taken some time to get finished.
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2016 - 03:29 AM UTC
Thanks, Karl, Jerry, Nick, and Hyder.

I am glad y'all like this vignette. With the time constraints I was under, I was not sure I was going to be able to pull it off. I may do another set with this same type of figure conversion and make a larger scene later on.

Cheers,
James
 _GOTOTOP