_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Orange Hobby M2 .50 cal
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hi all,
Anyone purchased Orange Hobby's M2 .50 cal brass barrel before? Any testimonials? http://www.ebay.com/itm/361490383734?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Very affordable price, and I was thinking about getting it but want to know the accuracy of it.

Thank you.
Dannyd
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 793 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 01:17 AM UTC
Cant talk for the Orange hobby barrels
but if they are like the RBM version then you'll be fine.

Taken from my current Sherman build.

Over here in the UK they are only a few £'s to buy and they come with PE sights, turned brass handles and a cocking handle, they get my vote.

Dan
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 01:22 AM UTC
I haven't had the Orange Hobby M2 but I had another one of their products: the US Spring Antenna. It was pretty good.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cant talk for the Orange hobby barrels
but if they are like the RBM version then you'll be fine.

Any particular reason why Chinese Orange Hobby barrels would be like Polish RB Model ones?...
Dannyd
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 01:29 AM UTC
No fella why ?

Not sure what you are saying here ?
Just trying to help out a fellow modeller here that's all,
if the quality is as good as RBM's then he'll be fine.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No fella why ?

It isn't helping - if anything, it can be misleading. There is no connection whatsoever betwen Orange Hobby and RB Model, so there is no reason to assume that their products are similar quality. One can be excellent, the other can be total crap. The only thing they have in common is that they are made of brass.
It is like answering "If it is as good as BMW i5, then you'll be fine" to a question "How good is Yugo?"...

And to be clear: I don't say the Orange Hobby barrels are bad. I have never seen them. Actually I know that RB Models M2HB barrels are inaccurate, so Orange ones can be better.
Dannyd
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No fella why ?

It isn't helping - if anything, it can be misleading. There is no connection whatsoever betwen Orange Hobby and RB Model, so there is no reason to assume that their products are similar quality. One can be excellent, the other can be total crap. The only thing they have in common is that they are made of brass.
It is like answering "If it is as good as BMW i5, then you'll be fine" to a question "How good is Yugo?"...

And to be clear: I don't say the Orange Hobby barrels are bad. I have never seen them. Actually I know that RB Models M2HB barrels are inaccurate, so Orange ones can be better.

Why is that not helping FFS.. he's not buying a car he's asked for advice on a barrel, I just showed him another product, backed up by photo's which is actually very bloody good and probably cheaper... You have attacked me for helping him.

Cheers for that buddy you are real gem and advocate for the hobby., if you have nothing good to say them best keep your mouth shut. I'll sign off now as I have had a week from hell and you have just really topped it off Vodnik .

Thanks

Sorry about this James, in no way did I want to mislead you at all, but don't buy a Yugo, terrible cars.

Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry about this James, in no way did I want to mislead you at all, but don't buy a Yugo, terrible cars.

Thanks Dan - No problem at all. I think what you meant was if Orange Hobby barrel is around the similar price range as RB one, the quality may be comparable also. Hope your day gets better. Your comment about Yugo was hilarious.

Thanks Vodnik for your input. I know I can always trust your expertise.
Based on Michael's experience with another Orange Hobby product, I am going to give this one a try.
Let's chill and have fun with this hobby.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 05:55 AM UTC
It may just be me but the OH barrel in the link looks to be a little bit short (Like a Ranging gun barrel). The barrel extension housing etc look great though.
Al
wfan4503
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 02:10 PM UTC
The orange hobby's m2 barrel is much better than rb's product,orange hobby is a good choice.The Pmms did a comparison review in this subject.Thanks.

wfan4503
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The orange hobby's m2 barrel is much better than rb's product,orange hobby is a good choice.The Pmms did a comparison review in this subject.Thanks.

wfan4503

The only problem is Terry Didn't review the OH one unless it is a rebox or re - label of another brand that I am unaware of:http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/50cal/50cal.html

The_musings_of_NBNoG
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 520 posts
Armorama: 516 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 02:46 PM UTC
Hey Al ,,,that was the very comparison I was thinking of !

( but to tell the truth I mixed it up in my head with Vodnik's great comparison reviews )

It is so very nice to have SO many references to draw upon!

Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 08:11 AM UTC
So Orange Hobby .50 cal M2 arrived today after two weeks of waiting.

It is OK overall in detail and accuracy considering the price. However, as you can see in the photo above, the barrel jacket is a bit thicker when comparing it to an old Tamiya version (top) and Live Resin M2 (bottom). The barrel length was good and the hole seemed like an accurate size as well.
 _GOTOTOP