_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Vietnamese radar paint schemes search
airdefensegal
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 09:32 AM UTC
Having build a 1:72 SA-2 Guideline for a Vietnam war display, I've now embarked upon building the radar units to accompany them, with a PRV-10 Side Net from ZZ Modelle being my first foray into uncharted waters. The paint guide with the kit shows one side in "light green" with disruptive blobs of "dark green" for a Vietnamese unit. Having scoured the internet, I've found exactly 2 color photos of one in a Vietnamese museum(?) showing it in overall Russian armor green.

Might someone have some reference photos of any SAM radar units owned and operated by the North Vietnamese that they'd be willing to share?

Kindest regards,
Morgan
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 09:31 PM UTC
Morgan,

I work at the Air Defense Artillery Museum at Fort Sill and I can check to see if we have anything concerning North Vietnamese SAM Radar units when I return to the office on Tuesday.

Cheers,
James
airdefensegal
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 - 09:00 AM UTC
James,

Thanks very much! The few photos I've found of Vietnamese ADF radars show them all in uniform factory green, so I suspect that the light green with factory green blobs was probably a field application.

Moran
ReconTL3-1
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 726 posts
Armorama: 687 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 04:56 AM UTC
Morgan,

I think you may be right about the light green and factory blobs being a field expedient camo scheme. I am still in the process of looking for any reference photos we may have in between clearing various places on post as I have to go to Fort Hood for a few months. I will let you know what I find.

Have a great day.
James
 _GOTOTOP