_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
editing/deleting comments
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 08:50 PM UTC
I just noticed that I am not able to edit or delete a comment I made. I thought we could do that previously. I am logged in, so did things change or am I being stupid and missing something?
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 08:51 PM UTC
OK, after I posted this, I see the Delete and Edit options here. I went to the AFV thread and it doesn't show there...what gives?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 09:09 PM UTC
A member on the site some time ago now got upset and started deleting all of his posts from the site; over 1000 I believe. this caused a lot of content on the network to look very odd, and so Jim limited the amount of time in which a post could be edited or deleted. As you have correctly pointed it this does not apply to all areas of the network.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 09:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A member on the site some time ago now got upset and started deleting all of his posts from the site; over 1000 I believe. this caused a lot of content on the network to look very odd, and so Jim limited the amount of time in which a post could be edited or deleted. As you have correctly pointed it this does not apply to all areas of the network.

Ah, OK- thanks. I thought maybe I was being technologically illiterate.
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 09:18 PM UTC
Although I understand the reason why this decision was made, I think the amount of time t oedit posts is too limited.

Could it be possible to extend it a bit?
TIA

Olivier
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 09:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Although I understand the reason why this decision was made, I think the amount of time t oedit posts is too limited.

TIA

Olivier

or leave the edit and limit the delete function?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

TIA

Olivier

Olivier: if we did that they could still delete all the content of their post and it will just be blank then.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 04:26 AM UTC
Or maybe have a preview capability to minimize the edits needed after posting.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:25 AM UTC
Frankly, I too do believe the edit time is very limited. I understand that then people have more time to then delete content from their posts if they want but if someone believes in what they say, there really is no reason to delete what they just said. The problem for me lies here: I had already made a comment on a thread about something. While I was writing that up, someone else posted a comment. Myself, not wanting to post a comment twice in a row decided to edit what I wanted to say into my previous comment. Unfortunately I spent more time writing than the 10 minute window allowed and I lost all of what I had written. This is my problem with the short 10 minutes given. I now am left with the option of either trying to remember much of what I wrote in response to that comment dispelling myths, or forgetting it entirely. This has also happened to me a few times before. I can not be the only person who had this experience.

I feel that if the window to Edit only was expanded to even 30 minutes, it would cut down on that experience. And, like I said, if someone believes in what they say, there is no reason for them to go in and edit out what they had said.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:36 AM UTC
Never type a long reply in directly - use a text editor then copy/paste when ready :-)

I even do this with database queries at work - I never trust the query front end programs. Lost too many big long complicated queries in the past!
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... Unfortunately I spent more time writing than the 10 minute window allowed and I lost all of what I had written. This is my problem with the short 10 minutes given. ...

Quoted Text

... Never type a long reply in directly - use a text editor then copy/paste when ready ...

What Nick said. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the current time allotment one hour? ... I can easily use that up writing one senta ...
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:59 PM UTC
... nce!
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:34 PM UTC
If you REALLY need to change a misspelling, grammar, or comment and the Edit button is not available, contact the forum's Editors and staff as they have admin privileges to change posts. Just tell them what you want changed.

The staff can be seen by clicking the "About" word in the graphic banner.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

... Unfortunately I spent more time writing than the 10 minute window allowed and I lost all of what I had written. This is my problem with the short 10 minutes given. ...

Quoted Text

... Never type a long reply in directly - use a text editor then copy/paste when ready ...

What Nick said. And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the current time allotment one hour? ... I can easily use that up writing one senta ...

I don't think so. If it was I would've had that edit edited in.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 03:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If you REALLY need to change a misspelling, grammar, or comment and the Edit button is not available, contact the forum's Editors and staff as they have admin privileges to change posts. Just tell them what you want changed.

Just to clarify, not ALL staff have editorial powers over posts. You need to get hold of the bigger cheeses, rather than foot-soldiers like me!
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Just to clarify, not ALL staff have editorial powers over posts. You need to get hold of the bigger cheeses, rather than foot-soldiers like me!

I stand corrected . The forum Editors and Admins should have editing access.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I don't think so. If it was I would've had that edit edited in.

For want of something to do while getting my first caffeine fix of the day -- I timed it!

The EDIT button disappears an hour after the post, on the dot.

I'd second Nick's comment -- if it was a long a post, I'd type on an editor such as Word and then just pop it in the reply / post window when ready.

However I'd still vote to have a preview capability if edit time can't be longer.

MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 09:37 AM UTC
Or a "Save recent changes" function. I know there are some forums that have this that will save your changes in the text box and if the page restarts or you back out and then get back into the page. This could be helpful.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 12:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately I spent more time writing than the 10 minute window allowed and I lost all of what I had written.

This is a rather bad effect of the way it's coded currently. I can try to fix this issue, and will take a look at the time window for edits and deletes again to make sure ample time is being given.

FYI... for all concerned this is a pretty standard feature on most newer forum software. And some don't even allow editing/deleting so at least we have that option.

Cheers,
Jim
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 08:33 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

Is there any chance we might see a "preview" option in future? It would go a long way towards reducing the need to edit, especially the dreaded issue of adding photos to a post! Us "old hands" may know the knack, but for noobs it would be helpful if they could fiddle with the img codes and actually see results before they hit "post".
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi Tom,
I can see your point about the photos, etc, but again preview options are also sort of passé now in favor of just being able to correct a problem via edit. To do that creates a whole different view page in the code and that means 200-1000 more lines of code to manage. Just not worth it in lieu of being able to edit.

Thanks,
Jim
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 12:24 AM UTC
lol I made this point long time ago.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tom,
I can see your point about the photos, etc, but again preview options are also sort of passé now in favor of just being able to correct a problem via edit. To do that creates a whole different view page in the code and that means 200-1000 more lines of code to manage. Just not worth it in lieu of being able to edit.

Thanks,
Jim

I understand, but the scenario we keep seeing is folks wrestling with images, failing to get the desired results, then eventually reaching out for help, and by the time they get replies their "golden hour" is used up.

If the "trend" is away from previews in favour of the Edit function, then our hour-long window is a problem. But we have that limit because of somebody deleting all his posts, so how do we resolve the conflict? (Unlimited editing would of course allow folks to replace huge pic files with smaller ones when they finally get the hang of things, without dooming their old posts to having the dreaded "red X", but opens the door to abuse...)
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2016 - 03:31 AM UTC
It's impossible to edit the thread subject if one started it, right? For a regular user that is.

It would be most useful to be able to edit it, this is possible on more "technically limited" forums, I'm thinking Missing lynx...

Cheers,

Christophe
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2016 - 05:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Tom,

Thanks,
Jim

I understand, but the scenario we keep seeing is folks wrestling with images, failing to get the desired results, then eventually reaching out for help, and by the time they get replies their "golden hour" is used up.

If the "trend" is away from previews in favour of the Edit function, then our hour-long window is a problem. But we have that limit because of somebody deleting all his posts, so how do we resolve the conflict? (Unlimited editing would of course allow folks to replace huge pic files with smaller ones when they finally get the hang of things, without dooming their old posts to having the dreaded "red X", but opens the door to abuse...)

An updated, easily accessible FAQ page may be of help.
 _GOTOTOP