_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Initial Tiger I . 112 TUNISIA .
GREENJACKET
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 - 05:17 PM UTC
I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I'm trying to find out the details of the above Tiger. I've been asked to build the RFM kit for a mag. I know it has issues,and I'll deal with those that I need to. One of the pics I have of 112 shows it having a lighter coloured barrel sleeve and possibly a grey barrel. Spare tracks on the front turret sides. Was there anything unusual about it? Was the rear bin and tool box as per other vehicles in the unit? What was its paint scheme and what colour was the lighter paint ? Any other info gratefully recieved.
Regards
Matt.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2016 - 07:26 PM UTC
Original paint on all these Tigers seems to be 8000/7008 with wide camouflage bands. Can't see them exactly.

The digits "112" were white hollow outlines.

Additional parts, e.g. Feifels, could be 8000 or 8020. On "112" it looks like the mudguards and toolbox are 8020:

Note that the corner mudguards are rounded. Other Tigers in the unit had angled or square ones.

This Tiger suffered impact damage very early on:

The third mudguard on the left side was lost and probably never replaced:

The damage was patched with 140mm and 50mm dia. discs. These areas, and others, were touched up with a light paint, presumably RAL 8020 since that was the tropical base paint they were issued with.

The gun barrel in this photo does seem to be a "grey lacquer" replacement unit.

The tank eventually got numbered "724" and picked up additional damage at front and rear, ask me if you want to see that.

David
GREENJACKET
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2016 - 02:04 AM UTC
Thanks very much mate. A lot of help.
Matt.
 _GOTOTOP