_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon StuG III
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 08:54 PM UTC
Dragon is releasing this: http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=DRA6834 They're billing this as an E/F version. I was considering back-dating it by replacing the gun with the short 75mm, but then I noticed the raised ventilator on the roof. Did any short barrel E's have this, or is it only particular to the E/F with L 43 barrel? It also has a single Notek light at the front which I suppose will also have to be replaced by the two earlier ones.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 01:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon is releasing this: http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=DRA6834 They're billing this as an E/F version. I was considering back-dating it by replacing the gun with the short 75mm, but then I noticed the raised ventilator on the roof. Did any short barrel E's have this, or is it only particular to the E/F with L 43 barrel? It also has a single Notek light at the front which I suppose will also have to be replaced by the two earlier ones.

The Ausf. E is a short gun version, so presumably the ventilator is an optional part.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 03:34 AM UTC
In the meantime I found a Cyber Hobby Orange box Aus E. Might be an older kit but has no roof ventilator, older type headlights, etc. Needs some upgrades in on-board equipment.
MrNeil
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 03:45 AM UTC
According to Panzer Tracts, the very first 10.5cm SturmHaubitzen were based on Ausf.E hulls that were upgraded to Ausf.F standard. Presumably, the upgrade would have included the roof ventilator.

N
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:03 AM UTC
I take it this is the first of those new, exotic AFVs recently announced? Hope they start releasing the others sooner as well.
rockmart
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 127 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 06:18 AM UTC
If it is based off their stug III ausf F kit then you are out of luck. The roof is molded with the raised ventilator area as part of it. An ausf F was essentially an ausf E with the rear of the roof raised for the ventilator and the longer gun.
MrNeil
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2016 - 09:32 AM UTC
Correction...it was the Osprey book by Jentz and Doyle, not Panzer Tracts.
 _GOTOTOP