_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
All Normanday Tiger 1s three colour camo?
paintMixer
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 - 06:51 AM UTC
I am wondering if any Tiger 1 tanks to see action in Normandy, and later other Western European spots (but Normandy most of all)...only Red And Green over Dunkelgelb? Any only Brown over the dark yellow base colour, or only Olive over the base colour? Hard to tell from pics!
corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 - 07:43 AM UTC
Try to get a copy of "Panzers in the Bocage", Karl Berne, Firefly collection by Oliver Publishing.
See if John Rauscher owner of Boomer's Books still has one or can get one. Going to run you about $40 US + shipping

Otherwise, looking through my copy, there are several examples of Tiger Is in tri color.
SS Panzer Abeilung 101 & 102 had plenty of color (102 almost 50% green), yellow hull & wheels
101: colored numbers rimmed in white, 102: white outlines only

But no, yellow and brown only was uncommon. Might get yellow with very light thin green and brown but usually tri.

if you want, I'll try to scan a page or two tomorrow evening.
Mannloon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 - 09:36 AM UTC
Please keep in mind though that these books only contain someone's opinion of what they're seeing in a black and white image. There is no way to discern hue from a natively gray scale image. The information is simply not there. We base our opinions on value, but if you do a few tests yourself you can see that reds and greens and even yellows can all have very similar values. There is something to be said for these lengthy discussions of how types of period film produce a different looking value scale due to the way they were manufactured. But, in the end you can only trust original color images, or go with your best guess after reading the plethora of debate on the topic of paint on German AFVs.
 _GOTOTOP