_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Better than glue
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:41 PM UTC
Has anyone tried using this in their modeling?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QU5M4MG/ref=s9_simh_gw_g201_i1_r?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-4&pf_rd_r=0GMSH60H17XDYJPMQJ3S&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869522&pf_rd_i=desktop
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 10:46 PM UTC
I haven't used any of it yet, but I have seen it in action at my local Hobby Town. I can say that it works, very well. The joints made with it are also more "flexible" that CA is. Unlike CA, which when it is flexed so far it just lets go, this stuff held on no matter haw far the piece was bent.

I would like to possibly try some in some PE applications to see how hard/easy it would be to work with. If it holds up like I watched it do, then it might be good for PE applications.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:14 PM UTC
I use it alot. It has its flaws when it comes to modelling. It takes more of it to make a strong joint, so it's not really suitable for small parts. Because it needs UV light to dry and harden, if your glue in the joint is hidden, it won't harden.

It works best as an instant putty. You just spread a thin layer over the seam, hold the UV light over it for 5 seconds and you're ready to sand. For deeper joints you can build it up in layers, drying each layer with the light.

For really shallow filling, it's a toss-up between it or CA. If you sand Either of them too vigorously it is possible to rip them from the shallow area by accident.

I bought it originally as a glue. Unsatisfied with it in that capacity, it sat in a drawer for a year. Using it as a putty has made me appreciate it's unique properties better,

Best wishes,

Gaz
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 11:27 PM UTC
Not sure why they say this is "not glue" or "better than glue". It _is_ glue. It's a UV cure adhesive.

It isn't a normal drying or curing adhesive, but an adhesive it certainly is.

Paul
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not sure why they say this is "not glue" or "better than glue". It _is_ glue. It's a UV cure adhesive.

It isn't a normal drying or curing adhesive, but an adhesive it certainly is.

Paul

Yep...is a normal UV glue just made for DIY instead for profesionals,nice idea but is not really what they say
joepanzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 06:59 AM UTC
So you think that it's more similar to the amalgam that some dentists use for fillings now? Sounds like it. A guy I work with is bringing it in tomorrow to test. And wouldn't you know that I work in a place that's filthy with styrene sheet!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:13 AM UTC
I've read some forum threads with people really touting this stuff. On the Amazon page, though, I see that over 20% of the reviews are 1 or 2 stars, which doesn't speak well of the product.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:18 AM UTC
my main concern would be the application in tight spaces. as far as big seams, I tend to use plastiweld and just let it flow. As long as you don't disturb it, it cleans up pretty easily
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've read some forum threads with people really touting this stuff. On the Amazon page, though, I see that over 20% of the reviews are 1 or 2 stars, which doesn't speak well of the product.

It's more that the people don't know how to use it properly. Bondic, and other similar products like Five Second Fix, are liquid copolymer plastic, not glue/adhesive.
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not a criticism of your post, but you can shorten Amazon URLs significantly in most cases -- Amazon passes a lot of data in the flags it attaches to URLs. If you clip off everything from the "/ref=" to the end of the URL, you'll still get the right page; Amazon's product ID is "B00QU5M4MG":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QU5M4MG
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not a criticism of your post, but you can shorten Amazon URLs significantly in most cases -- Amazon passes a lot of data in the flags it attaches to URLs. If you clip off everything from the "/ref=" to the end of the URL, you'll still get the right page; Amazon's product ID is "B00QU5M4MG":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QU5M4MG

Or, use "(url=http: //put.url.here] linkname[/url)". Paste the URL after the "=" and type in the linkname in, where else, "linkname".
 _GOTOTOP