_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Mine fields
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 11:17 AM UTC
Hi guys

I'm working on a dio for my Dingo, and I need help. How did English forces during the second world war, mark German mine fields. The idea behind the dio is a British recon unit marking a German mine field some time during the late summer 1944.
I know the Germans would use the "Attention Mine Field" signs, but what I'm looking for is a way not just to mark the field, but to show a path pass it. Any ideas.

Thanks in advance
Wolfsix
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 05:27 PM UTC
You could also add some digged up look in the supposed cleared area instead of the natural ground look that the rest of the mine field should have . i believe tha in order to protect the friendly troops the uncleaned area could be rounded with some kind of wire and the cleaned one not, and only designated with mechanics tape, or a sign also . I believe that signs (two pieces of wood and some paint) would be the easiest to do for the troops in war time .. Just guessing
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 06:27 PM UTC
How exactly are you having the Dingo crew clear the mines? Are they on hands and knees with the bayonet? Using a mine detector? Whatever they do would be very crude since the engineers would be the ones to do the clearing. Maybe they would just use sticks in the ground or little flags as markers until an engineering team could catch up
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 02:09 AM UTC
the dio kkeefe shows is close to what would have been done,

mine fields were marked with white tape, or chalk.

im not sure if a recce unit would do it though, maybe mark it up for engineers if they had some tape, maybe just make a sign from something lying around?

cheers

joe
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 04:39 AM UTC
Hi guys.

Thanks for the replys, they will be a big help. The Dingo crew won't be clearing the mine field the idea is that they have found it while checking the area in advance of the main force. I want them to be marking it both on the ground, and on a map for the engineers to find and clear.
Thanks again
Wolfsix
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 04:46 AM UTC
sounds like a good dio on the way,

maybe you could have some figures, say holding a map, and some others making a sign out of some scrap wood or something?

cheers

joe
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 05:51 AM UTC
Joe

Thats about what I was thinking of. I'm looking around some of the shops on the web trying to come up with a second vehicle for the recon unit. I can't decide if I want to go with a light tank, or another Dingo. The Dingo only has a two man crew so in order to have the other figures there I'll need at least one more vehicle. Any ideas?

Wolfsix
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 06:07 AM UTC
it depends how big, and how much you want to spend,

most of the vehicles used by the recce companies were wheeled, so

morris light recce car
daimler dingo
daimler mk1(turreted one)
humbers
staghounds
AEC mk2/3

all but the dingo are unavailible in plastic, but the resin kits are nice.

if your looking for something in plastic, go for a stuart, the AFV club M3A3 would be perfect and its a nice kit, but the academy M3 honey would also be ok, with different markings

cheers

joe
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 07:10 AM UTC
My Dad was in a universal carrier for recce with the Canadian armoured corps.....then they got turretless M3A3 Stuarts....could do either one of those for fairly cheap.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 07:14 AM UTC
true dioman,

the stuart recce would be a nice conversion, depends how much time you have wolfsix

cheers

joe
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:38 AM UTC
Joe

Time is not a real concern, That conversion does sound interesting. I going to do some research into this vehicle and see what I can find.

Wolfsix
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 11:30 PM UTC
why not add a jeep instead or the daimler mk1 armoured car by sovereign costs about £25
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 01:30 PM UTC

The Jeep idea might work. I would need to find out what vehicle the British engineers used. Load up the Jeep with equipment, it could work. I think its time to hit the books. Thanks for the ideas.

Wolfsix
 _GOTOTOP