_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Building new house - need spray booth ideas
communityguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 493 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 07:51 PM UTC
My girl and I are in the process of building a new house. I'm in the enviable position of having the ability to design my workshop room (that's right... IN the house!) from the ground up.

One of the ideas I want to work on is how to build a spray booth with the motor on the outside of the house, and the vent built into the wall. Not hacky window workarounds, and no loud fan noise inside the house.

But if I'm going to build in a fan, I want it to be a pretty strong one. Any suggestions/recommendations/articles you can suggest on how to best pull this off?

Thanks!
srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 - 11:27 PM UTC
You might want to look at fans for laboratory fume hood ventilation; those are designed for high flow to ensure that the airflow is one way away from the user. With ratings of up to 1600 cfm (cubic feet per minute), you should be able to get as powerful an exhaust as you want.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Armorama: 457 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 01:33 AM UTC
You will probably be able to find something similar or close to, at home depot/lowes, etc.
My grandparents cabin has a sauna in the cabin itself, and due to a fire, they had to find a way to exhaust heat if it got too hot, so they installed an exhaust fan in the cabin. When that thing starts up, it really goes! It is not your average bathroom fan, or even close. So, you could check out something like that to see what kind of exhaust options the home improvement places have. you might be able to go with a couple exhausts if you are afraid one wont be enough.
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 02:38 AM UTC
if you want a good fan every industrial fan can be good,like the one used in restaurant kitchens
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 - 10:41 AM UTC
The shape of the spray booth also plays a roll. Just a fan on the wall will vent the room but expect to smell the paint for a while. If the walls of the booth are shaped correctly, it will keep air moving to the fan and not drift back into the room for a while. Plan on adding a dryer vent or two from outside to allow for return air into the room. That will help keep the air flowing out through the exhaust.
Think of it like the central heating in the house. If the door to the room is closed and the door fits close to the floor then the airflow from the incoming air vent through the room is poor and the difference in temp is noticeable. If you open the door the airflow increases and the temp balances with the rest of the house.
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 03:48 AM UTC
I think the main issue would be to find an extractor/fan with high CFM that is affordable. High quiet air flow = $$$

Also if you're going to DIY, you need to get a grasp on Static Pressure, CFM, make-up air, etc...

krow113
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 473 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 04:38 AM UTC
Figure out the size of the room first. Get cfm accordingly.
pjmurley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 05:25 AM UTC
I have built professional venting systems for prop and model work. If you are venting enamels, lacquers or even Tamiya sprayed with alcohol get a fan with the motor outside of the airstream."Squirrel cage" blowers are really good.Remember also the bigger the fan, the bigger the noise.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:13 AM UTC
Doesn't the air entering a squirrel cage fan, flow around the motor?(Directly in the incoming airflow)
Lokis_Tyro
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 10:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Doesn't the air entering a squirrel cage fan, flow around the motor?(Directly in the incoming airflow)

Some do, some don't.

What I'd do is take a tool cabinet design and mod it for a fan setup. Lots of plans out there.

11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not all.

This one does.

jon_a_its
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 1,137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 12:19 PM UTC
Please consider your lighting needs, LED'S ARE high efficiency, low heat, & glass/perspex sides, top & hinged front would be helpful.

In the US, furnace filters are cheap & readily available, so consider how you will fit & change them.

Think about your intended largest model, eg A 1:32 HK B17 or Lancaster will need a lot bigger booth than a 1:72 tank, so go for at least twice the size you think you need

Good luck, please post your progress, & sounds like you got a keeper!
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 06:58 PM UTC
The larger the spray booth the greater the CFM flow to evacuate the air. I think bathroom fans are near 100 CFM.
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Armorama: 1,066 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 - 04:18 AM UTC
the fan is going outside !make sure its weatherproof and above the maximum snowfall height ( if you get snow)
 _GOTOTOP