_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Confused about the M3 Honey
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 03:15 PM UTC
I am working on the academy M3 Honey. I want to build it as a Brit Tank. Can some one clarify the M3/M3A1 use of a turret basket? I have heard the the Honey M3 with the rivets did not use a turret basket. Is this true? Does any one have some good interior photos? Thanks JDM
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 04:14 PM UTC
IIRC, the problem with the M3 Stuart Honey kit is the turret basket (there shouldn't be one) and the subsequent arrangement of ammo boxes on the hull floor. The basket is correct for the M3A1 though. I guess it was a matter of making an interior "right" for one version and making it "better than nothing" for the other version. I guess it would be easier to omit the basket on the M3 than it would be to add one from scratch (or aftermarket) for the M3A1.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 - 04:18 PM UTC
I am NOT a Stuart expert but I do have Zaloga's latest book, Modeling the M3/M5 Stuart. According to the book the British M3s did NOT have the turret basket. They also didn't have armored fuel tank covers. Zaloga suggests removing the small attachments on the turrets, the armored fuel caps themselves, and scatch building the actual fuel caps. If you have the Tamiya Stuart you can use the fuel cap from it.

Zaloga says the kit's color schemes bear no resemblence to the real marketings. Here is a good article on possible painting. If you're going to paint yours in British colors here is a good start. http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/bellmanwm_1.htm
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 12:55 AM UTC
Fubar:

Here's a nice site for interior info. Cutaways show the interior differences between the M3 and M3A1: http://afvinteriors.hobbyvista.com/m3stu/m3stu1.html
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am NOT a Stuart expert but I do have Zaloga's latest book, Modeling the M3/M5 Stuart. According to the book the British M3s did NOT have the turret basket. They also didn't have armored fuel tank covers. Zaloga suggests removing the small attachments on the turrets, the armored fuel caps themselves, and scatch building the actual fuel caps. If you have the Tamiya Stuart you can use the fuel cap from it.

Zaloga says the kit's color schemes bear no resemblence to the real marketings. Here is a good article on possible painting. If you're going to paint yours in British colors here is a good start. http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/bellmanwm_1.htm

Amigo-- brings up an interesting point. How is the Zaloga book on the M-3? Is it worth the money?
thanks
djj
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 05:06 AM UTC
Hey Thanks for the links and clearing that up!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Amigo-- brings up an interesting point. How is the Zaloga book on the M-3? Is it worth the money?
thanks
djj

Hmmm... funny you asked that. As it happens there is a review on Armorama of that book written by that imminent scholar Rodger Cole, alias Halfyank. :-) I liked the book, and felt it was worth the money but if you look at the review somebody else didn't like it as much. I guess it's a matter of taste. I thought the book very helpful.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 05:15 AM UTC
rodger,

does the book have much info about the M3A3?
i have the AFV club kit on my shelf, but need some references for it

cheers

joe
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 06:14 AM UTC
Joe, the first chapter of the book is on making the M3A3 AFV Club kit. I don't have that kit so I kind of glossed over it but it seemed pretty complete.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 06:22 AM UTC
hhmm, think ill get that, thanks

joe
 _GOTOTOP