_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Quick question re: Kursk-era Panzer uniforms
Gewehr43
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 09:27 PM UTC
I'm building a late Panzer IV Ausf G of the 2nd Panzer Division and shooting for a timeframe right before the kickoff of Zitadelle. To spice it up, I want to add a couple figures to the build. I have this figure set in the stash and I'm wondering if the uniforms would be appropriate for the era.

If not, can anyone recommend a 3-5 figure set that would fit the bill?
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 10:02 PM UTC
[quote]I'm building a late Panzer IV Ausf G of the 2nd Panzer Division and shooting for a timeframe right before the kickoff of Zitadelle. To spice it up, I want to add a couple figures to the build. I have this figure set in the stash and I'm wondering if the uniforms would be appropriate for the era.

If not, can anyone recommend a 3-5 figure set that would fit the bill?[/quot

Try any WWII German Tanker figure sets- The set that you already have is entirely appropriate. If you do decide that you want to get something different, many other WWII German Tanker sets ARE available. A lot of them are geared towards the "mid-war" stage of WWII, when "Zitadelle" was being fought. As to which sets specifically, that's up to you. There are a great many of WWII German Tanker sets available from MASTERBOX, ALPINE, MINIART, TAHK, (Russian, for "TANK"), and a host of others. I suggest going on ebay, and entering: "1/35 German Tanker sets"- that should bring up HUNDREDS of different sets to choose from, in all price ranges from very affordable to ridiculous- there again, it's up to you, the buyer.

Just a little bit of advice: By "mid-war", German Tankers "in the field", especially in the wilds of Soviet Russia, wore just about anything they could beg, borrow or steal that somewhat conformed to the German Uniform regs, so don't be too awfully concerned about what they wore when you're painting your figures. Remember that these guys weren't "on parade" in front of "Onkel Adolf", but were already engaged in a lot of hard battle against a very determined Russian Army and the populace, as well... Don't worry, you'll find EXACTLY what you need, if you look for it...
Gewehr43
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 10:10 PM UTC
Many thanks, Dennis. Exactly the information I was looking for!
rover5700
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:09 AM UTC
These were interesting.

http://aurora-model.jp/e-military.html
11Bravo_C2
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey now!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 07:45 PM UTC
VERY interesting!
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm building a late Panzer IV Ausf G of the 2nd Panzer Division and shooting for a timeframe right before the kickoff of Zitadelle. To spice it up, I want to add a couple figures to the build. I have this figure set in the stash and I'm wondering if the uniforms would be appropriate for the era.

If not, can anyone recommend a 3-5 figure set that would fit the bill?

The Kursk region in July is ferociously hot, so I suspect you'd see a lot of troops wearing the reed green cotton fatigue uniforms or shirt sleeves rather than the black wool outfits. The cut of the cotton uniforms was basically similar, so it's a matter of painting rather than resculpting.
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ohhhh, YEAH!!!
Gewehr43
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:09 AM UTC
Excellent information. Thank you, Gerald.
Removed by original poster on 04/07/16 - 23:21:01 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP