_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Tank (Tahk)- Kharkov Grenadiers
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 04:09 AM UTC
I've always kept my eyes open for a build log on figures from Tank. I never seem to see them in dioramas, save for a very few, and yet they always seemed like great figures.

Gandhi said something along the lines of "Be the change you want to see in the world", or something, so I've done just that.

Here's this-

IMG_3933 by mullinator7, on Flickr

In terms of how they're cast, they don't compete with Alpine. While the molding is great and has detail I wasn't expecting (save for one important part), they odds of busting a part when removing them from the casting block is pretty high. The molds are similar to Verlinden, and very brittle. Going from Alpine figures to these two, it was a bit of a let down.

IMG_3934 by mullinator7, on Flickr

The biggest downside to this figure is here.

IMG_3935 by mullinator7, on Flickr

It looks a lot like an alien. But, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it's a bad casting. In the end though it just matters how it looks after paint. But those eyes... like something off the X-Files.

Separating some smaller parts from the casting blocks was very easy, just the arms and helmet were problems. The parts all fit very nicely, and would be perfect if the casting mold wasn't where the joints are.

IMG_3937 by mullinator7, on Flickr

Doesn't that drum mag look out of place? That's because it's a Dragon spare, since the kit didn't have one for some reason.

IMG_3938 by mullinator7, on Flickr

IMG_3939 by mullinator7, on Flickr

The pose though? Awesome, I really like it. He looks intense. Normally I'd glue the helmet on too, but I destroyed 2 trying to get them cleanly off the casting block. But, I've got a million Dragon extras, so no worries. But the best part?

IMG_3941 by mullinator7, on Flickr

Never seen a company actually take the effort to mold under the jacket, even some of my Alpine ones lack that (arguably unnecessary) detail.

And compared to a standard-sized Dragon figures? He's almost got the Verlinden issue of being rather large, but in all honesty, it's probably not going to be noticeable in the end.

IMG_3943 by mullinator7, on Flickr

I assembled the second figure on a limb last night, only because it's a quick process and I was curious.

IMG_3944 by mullinator7, on Flickr

Hands & gun kept separate for ease of painting. The K98 is equipped with the bayonet fixed, a great touch, however being so thin it snapped off, and I had to save the small piece from the carpet monster. Nerve racking to say the least.

IMG_3945 by mullinator7, on Flickr

The fur in the hood looks amazing too, very nicely done.

IMG_3946 by mullinator7, on Flickr

Gear all sits very nicely, seam lines non-existent, folds, creases, etc, all perfect. The only filling I've got to do are because of my own error.

So, all in all, they've got to be handled carefully when dealing with some smaller parts and removing them from the casting block, and some may benefit from a Hornet or Alpine head.

But, I really do like them. They're good dramatic action poses, and will make for a great diorama or vignette.

What's up next? Homework, lots of it for me. If anyone's planning on going to college soon, don't take 7 classes at once

But, I'll try to get these guys painted at some point. I've got a feeling they'll look great!

Thanks for watching

-Conor
maartenboersma
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 764 posts
Armorama: 742 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 04:13 AM UTC
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:15 PM UTC
nice review man!
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've always kept my eyes open for a build log on figures from Tank. I never seem to see them in dioramas, save for a very few, and yet they always seemed like great figures.

Gandhi said something along the lines of "Be the change you want to see in the world", or something, so I've done just that.

Here's this-

IMG_3933 by mullinator7, on Flickr

In terms of how they're cast, they don't compete with Alpine. While the molding is great and has detail I wasn't expecting (save for one important part), they odds of busting a part when removing them from the casting block is pretty high. The molds are similar to Verlinden, and very brittle. Going from Alpine figures to these two, it was a bit of a let down.

IMG_3934 by mullinator7, on Flickr

The biggest downside to this figure is here.

IMG_3935 by mullinator7, on Flickr

It looks a lot like an alien. But, I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it's a bad casting. In the end though it just matters how it looks after paint. But those eyes... like something off the X-Files.

Separating some smaller parts from the casting blocks was very easy, just the arms and helmet were problems. The parts all fit very nicely, and would be perfect if the casting mold wasn't where the joints are.

IMG_3937 by mullinator7, on Flickr

Doesn't that drum mag look out of place? That's because it's a Dragon spare, since the kit didn't have one for some reason.

IMG_3938 by mullinator7, on Flickr

IMG_3939 by mullinator7, on Flickr

The pose though? Awesome, I really like it. He looks intense. Normally I'd glue the helmet on too, but I destroyed 2 trying to get them cleanly off the casting block. But, I've got a million Dragon extras, so no worries. But the best part?

IMG_3941 by mullinator7, on Flickr

Never seen a company actually take the effort to mold under the jacket, even some of my Alpine ones lack that (arguably unnecessary) detail.

And compared to a standard-sized Dragon figures? He's almost got the Verlinden issue of being rather large, but in all honesty, it's probably not going to be noticeable in the end.

IMG_3943 by mullinator7, on Flickr

I assembled the second figure on a limb last night, only because it's a quick process and I was curious.

IMG_3944 by mullinator7, on Flickr

Hands & gun kept separate for ease of painting. The K98 is equipped with the bayonet fixed, a great touch, however being so thin it snapped off, and I had to save the small piece from the carpet monster. Nerve racking to say the least.

IMG_3945 by mullinator7, on Flickr

The fur in the hood looks amazing too, very nicely done.

IMG_3946 by mullinator7, on Flickr

Gear all sits very nicely, seam lines non-existent, folds, creases, etc, all perfect. The only filling I've got to do are because of my own error.

So, all in all, they've got to be handled carefully when dealing with some smaller parts and removing them from the casting block, and some may benefit from a Hornet or Alpine head.

But, I really do like them. They're good dramatic action poses, and will make for a great diorama or vignette.

What's up next? Homework, lots of it for me. If anyone's planning on going to college soon, don't take 7 classes at once

But, I'll try to get these guys painted at some point. I've got a feeling they'll look great!

Thanks for watching

-Conor

Thanks Much, Conor!!! TAHK CERTAINLY makes some GREAT Figurines!!!

Just one small correction, and I don't mean to be demeaning, only informative- (I speak, read and write in the Ukrainian and German languages fluently, and I can make myself understood in Russian, I also know some Polish, a very-limited amount of Italian, a few words of Czech and Hungarian, plus a very small and pretty rusty amount of High School French...)

"Tahk" is incorrect usage. In the Russian and Ukrainian languages, which use the Cyrillic Alphabet, the capital letter "H" of the Roman Alphabet is used as an "N" in Russian and Ukrainian.

I wish more modellers, editors. critics and some selected Hobby Houses and distributors would just capitalize the company-name as "TAHK", as TAHK the company in question, does. I see the same mistake made over and over again all the time.

Just to clarify a few more points, in actuality, the Roman letter "B" is used as a Cyrillic "V" or in some cases "W", and in certain Russian applications, is also pronounced as an "F". The Cyrillic "C" is used as the Roman "S" sound, "P" is used as the Roman "R" sound, and the "backwards R", is translated into the sound, "YAH".

So when I see the "cute" but incorrect use of the Cyrillic "YAH" as a Roman "R", I grit my teeth, and try to smile. It's just plain wrong, and I'm sure that our Ukrainian and Russian friends have a chuckle over our ignorance. They must say to themselves: "YAH-ussian Forum?!? What ARE they, (meaning us), THINKING..?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:27 PM UTC
Great post. I have often looked at these figures and wondered how they were to build. The poses they offer are more dynamic than some others.
 _GOTOTOP