_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
News
Hobby Zone: Airbrush Station
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:48 PM UTC

HobbyZone's new product is an airbrush station featuring a drawer, turntable, airbrush holder and place for clip holders.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:06 PM UTC
This is very interesting and something I'll definitely look into. What is is made out of? Looks almost like stiff cardboard but this wouldn't quite make much sense to me. Fiberboard or thin cut sheets of wood?
Scarred
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Armorama: 1,186 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:44 PM UTC
Made out of MDF.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:10 PM UTC
I wonder if this would be a good thing.. without some type of air suction system in the back? I built something similar to this with foam board.. but the problem was that the sprayed paint would hit the back panel.. and just created something like a dust cloud over the model.. then I guess the particles would fall onto the model's surface and stick to the wet paint.. and in the end I would end up with a rough grainy surface... At least, I think that's the reason, because when I stopped using it, I didn't get that rough grainy surface anymore.

Hisham
specter116
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:21 PM UTC
i tried to order from their site and it was no good. it kept telling me that i exceeded the weight limit idk
FJCabeza
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 01:26 AM UTC
It is a good start but needs some tweaking...
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... a stand that minimizes the risk of overspray from airbrush or spray paint in the working area. ...

Most likely, the very fine airborne paint particles would blast a cloud right back into the user's face — better to have the overspray. Sorry, this just doesn't seem very healthy, even with acrylic paints. IMHO.

—mike
thehermit
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 05:41 AM UTC
Needs some provision to be able to add an outlet for fume extraction. I have lots of his "stuff", it's well thought out and goes together very easy.-LT
digger303
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 69 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:52 PM UTC
honestly why would you buy this..it's not a spray booth yet looks like one. If you use it the paint spray would bounce off the back wall straight back at you
oliver
Visit this Community
Beersheba, Israel
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 06:50 PM UTC
I can build myself something better than this.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:00 PM UTC
Keep in mind that this is not a spray booth and does not pretend to replace one, so it is not fair to compare it to a different (and more expensive) product.

I have to paint on the computer desk so I have to cover the screen while airbrushing, plus do not have either much room to store a full size spray booth. As I only airbrush acrylics, I am not too much concerned about fumes. Nor I think the paint will bounce against the walls and come back over my model... At least with a home made cover, it has not happened.

Obviously, should I had a dedicated room my equipment would be different.

So, I think there is a market for different products.

P.S. I wish I could build things like that, and I know there is people absolutely able, but not my case
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 01:39 AM UTC
I'm in exactly the same spot as you Carlos. I have to cover my entire desk with newspaper and put up boxes against the wall so I don't accidentally paint them Olive Drab. But, if you are worried about richoceting paint, have we forgetten how to adapt things to suit our needs? As soon as I read Hisham's post I thought of how to adapt this product to accept a fan to suck out the paint. Frankly, if this is relatively cheap, I probably will buy this as I don't have the money to afford a proper paint booth.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 01:41 AM UTC
OK, drill more holes on the top surface(Many). Put a filter in the tray. Cut out most of the trays bottom mount a fan under the tray or base. Exhaust fumes with a vinyl dryer exhaust hose. Add 4 legs and you have a small dedicated spray booth
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 03:05 AM UTC
if you cant install a exaust fan you can also drill many holes you can on the back board glue another board on the back leaving a gap of few cm (3cm??...),slide inside a card board but still live a gap between the first board and the card board (also filter the material of kitchen exaust is good or stuff like that),this avoid the mist bounce back on you and your model and "absorbs" part of the mist....
FJCabeza
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 04:20 PM UTC
I made a Spray Booth myself, it was quite silent and used a kitchen extractor filter and several PC fans (12cm and 8cm) on back and lower plate. It gave a good airflow and didnīt let any paint residues on air or ricochetting drops. Moreover it was not too big or heavy.
I can say you could use solvent based paint and there was no nasty smell after...
Perhaps the manufacturer could do a more refined design with perforated plates , double rear wall and floor and provision to install fans and filters.
Turntable is a very good idea and the overall shape and size seem to be Ok.
That would keep it in a reasonable price range and let the buyer made some customizations. By the way, secondhand PC fans are dirty cheap.
 _GOTOTOP