_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AMX-13/75 Operation Kadesh
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 04:14 PM UTC
Hello to all.

I am currently in progress with my model, Takom AMX-13/75. Here is the box.

I am making it as a tank of 7th Armored Brigade of the IDF, during Operation Kadesh.

Pictures of the IDF in 1956 are almost impossible to find now. The closest prototypes are 7th Armored Brigade Sherman M50 tanks in 1958, depicted in the book “Merkava and other tanks of Israel. Armored chariots.” by Mikhail Baryatinsky, Moscow, EKSMO, Yauza, 2011 (in Russian).
http://www.amazon.com/Merkava-drugie-Izrailya-Bronirovannye-kolesnitsy/dp/5699493077/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460211294&sr=8-1&keywords=baryatinsky+merkava
These tanks have markings differing from modern IDF insignia: white “2” on the turret and white triangle on the upper hull. Another picture from the book shows AMX-13s in 1956 advancing to Egyptian positions, but the insignia are not visible. These tanks feature small flags on right antennas. Yet another picture shows AMX-13 at 1957 parade in Tel-Aviv with spare wheel cover painted over in white with light blue cross – Operation Kadesh aerial identification sign (the picture is b/w with text description).

Here are some IDF prototypes, but probably referring to later history.
http://edokunscalemodelingpage.blogspot.ru/2014/01/israeli-amx-13-in-1967-six-day-war.html

Here is AMX-13/75 at Yad La-Shiryon, or the Armored Corps Memorial Site and Museum at Latrun, Israel.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AMX-13-latrun-5.jpg

I used this pic as weathering reference.
http://www.military-today.com/tanks/merkava_mk3.htm

The kit is very fine and highly detailed, and easy to build. There are two assembly options: with dust cover on turret (the cover fixes gun barrel in slightly elevated position) and without dust cover, gun barrel in clamp. Four types of markings are offered: two for the IDF (Six Days War), one for Lebanese Army and one for Venezuela Army.

There are two minor mistakes in the kit as referred to the IDF (I don’t know if these refer to Lebanese and Venezuelan tanks):

1. The IDF AMX-13s very rarely used additional front armor plate. I installed it by mistake, and then deleted it.
2. The IDF AMX-13s had one pair of headlights instead of two pairs as in the kit. I made it by instructions, making one pair as iodine lamps (as on one French prototype I found, but with yellow lens instead of iodine bulb only) and the other pair as blackout lights.

I would highly recommend the AMX-13 series of Takom kits, especially because AMX-13 were widely exported and there are far more exotic prototypes than the kits marking guide offers. I am thinking on making a missile tank later.

I painted the model with Tamiya and GSI Creos, and weathered with Tamiya, MIG and Ammo of Mig Jimenez.

Kits and materials used:

Takom #2036 IDF light tank AMX-13/75
Eduard #TP504 US Cal. 0.30 ammo boxes WWII (NATO 7.62x51 should be actually used for FN MAG, but it was the closest replace I could find quickly)
Aber #G02 Panther Ausf.G/F grills (shackle and smoke mortar chains)
Tamiya #35229 Allied vehicle accessory set (canvas)
Silk ribbon (tool holding straps; cutting 2 mm ribbon into 1 mm straps with scissors represented an unexpected technical problem to maintain uniform width, “good” strap yield is around 50%)
Chocolate wrapper aluminum foil (headlamp reflectors)
Paper tissue (cloth strip panels on turret)
Copper wire (cloth strip panels fixing on turret and strap holders)
Guitar string and braid (antennas)
Israeli flag printed on photo paper.

Here are pics prior to final assembly.

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 07:48 PM UTC
Hi Michael

It's maybe too late, but I had posted a few Operation Kadesh pics in this previous thread :

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/241757

Just one remark about your build : I believe the FN MAG 58 you have fitted is not accurate for a 1956 tank as this MG appeared in 1958. I think a US .30 MG would be better suited.

H.P.
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 10:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael

It's maybe too late, but I had posted a few Operation Kadesh pics in this previous thread :

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/241757

Just one remark about your build : I believe the FN MAG 58 you have fitted is not accurate for a 1956 tank as this MG appeared in 1958. I think a US .30 MG would be better suited.

H.P.

Thanks a lot!

Of course you’re right about the MG, but it is really too late)

You’ve posted the same 1957 Tel-Aviv parade b/w pic I found in the book. But I believe the scan you posted is original, and it says “blue” cross not “light blue” as maybe incorrect translation in the Russian book. It would be hard to say which shade of blue it was…
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hello to all.

Here is the complete model.
I will post more pics later.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 09:15 PM UTC
Beautiful build,I was thinking about ordering Takom's indies once they came out for my Tamiya to replace the rubber band tracks,but they look like real bear to clean up.How were they to work with ?
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful build,I was thinking about ordering Takom's indies once they came out for my Tamiya to replace the rubber band tracks,but they look like real bear to clean up.How were they to work with ?

The tracks are good in the way that they are linked together on the molds in'line by 16 pcs. or so in one line. This allows to carry out complete paint and weathering job while the tracks are still on the mold. They are easy to separate, not requiring much finish job. Then I always thought there are different points of view on separate track links cause some people like assembling lots of small identical parts and some don’t. I like doing that. For example, I like the MENG T-90 tracks that are VERY detailed. It seems to me, one’s habit is more important here than the tracks themselves. Again, I consider the Takom AMX-13 tracks to be very good and rather simple to work with. And of course, the sag effect they give is excellent, Tamiya one-piece rubber tracks can’t reproduce that.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 10:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The tracks are good in the way that they are linked together on the molds in'line by 16 pcs. or so in one line. This allows to carry out complete paint and weathering job while the tracks are still on the mold. They are easy to separate, not requiring much finish job. Then I always thought there are different points of view on separate track links cause some people like assembling lots of small identical parts and some don’t. I like doing that. For example, I like the MENG T-90 tracks that are VERY detailed. It seems to me, one’s habit is more important here than the tracks themselves. Again, I consider the Takom AMX-13 tracks to be very good and rather simple to work with. And of course, the sag effect they give is excellent, Tamiya one-piece rubber tracks can’t reproduce that.

Interesting,thanks,I think I will wait for them to be released.Cheaper then Fruils.

PS-I loved those Meng T-90 tracks
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 12:18 AM UTC

yakovkraus
Visit this Community
Israel
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 02:15 PM UTC
The most important difference is the color
in 1956 the color was brown
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 304 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 02:50 PM UTC
Just a lovely build.

Robert
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 03:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The most important difference is the color
in 1956 the color was brown

Interesting. Maybe you have a photo reference?
yakovkraus
Visit this Community
Israel
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 03:56 PM UTC
yes I have a color picture of brown Sherman tanks
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 04:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

yes I have a color picture of brown Sherman tanks

It would be cool if you could post it here please? Would be very useful for everyone I guess!
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 05:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a lovely build.

Robert

Thank you!
yakovkraus
Visit this Community
Israel
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 08:08 PM UTC
the only color picture that I found
and i remember from childhood
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 09:17 PM UTC
Great! Thanks a lot!
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 10:52 PM UTC
Great build overall. the rust work you did on those mufflers is outstanding!
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great build overall. the rust work you did on those mufflers is outstanding!

Thank you!
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 05:10 AM UTC
Looks great and much better details than the Heller kit I gave up on a few years back.
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Friday, May 06, 2016 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great and much better details than the Heller kit I gave up on a few years back.

Thanks! As I can see, the Takom AMX-13 is currently the best on the market.
 _GOTOTOP