Hosted by Darren Baker
miniart rant
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 08:02 AM UTC
I had a absolute failure with the one I tryed (before the vidio came out). I roofed for many years and if you look at that roof it is so thick it's insane. I now just pour a plaster sheet and scribe my brick/stone and call it even. At least my roofs are correct and my building don't look like anyone else's. Have some fun with it Tom, you're almost there and did a better job than I did. Got faith in ya.
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 08:33 AM UTC
I encounter similiar problem,sometime the part simple do not fit.
But I believe miniart,should make it more user friendly.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2016 - 02:37 AM UTC
Starting to have some fun with it Bob.
Not anyway near the fun I had with my scratch built North Africa copy.Still using some of the great stuff you sent me for that one.Those acetate slides are the best.
Painting has been a chore.Going over and over the exterior panels.In hindsight it would have been best to air brush them all.Actually,all parts would have been easier to paint before assembly if the build wasn't such a pain in A.
The basic colors with a little weathering are done.Have to go over the off white panels again and tone down the weathering.
I need to find or scratch some kind of ornament for the peak of the roof.
They supply a ladder for the interior loft
.2 hours cutting and trying to get it to fit?Don't think so.How 'bout 20 minutes with balsa.

Tom

photo niagara 020_zpsbr3hastq.jpg  photo niagara 015_zpszmtruth9.jpg  photo niagara 017_zpsds7u7ntl.jpg  photo niagara 018_zpslndqaynq.jpg  photo niagara 019_zpso5zenpzc.jpg  photo niagara 021_zpsv6nytd01.jpg  photo niagara 022_zpszs83tlnz.jpg  photo niagara 023_zpszcjkoo7s.jpg
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 02:06 AM UTC
Not to beat this to death, but the vacuform process means they can turn out lots of different buildings and they ship cheaply (plaster or even resin would make these prohibitively expensive).

If cut out CAREFULLY, the walls go together reasonably well. You WILL have to fill the seams in, but Tamiya putty works effectively for that. A little "sweat equity" allows you to have some selection of buildings. Here are ones I have used:

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/features/6983

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/features/6982

This Norman farmhouse cost nearly $60 with shipping because it was plaster and heavy as ****.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 12:44 AM UTC
Hi Bill,with all respect I understand the cost of manufacturing,but if your not delivering a quality product the public will stay away.Diorama Plus has great ceramic buildings at not at a lot more.If you like MiniArt,great.
Just not for me.
Anyway,some progress.
Added some rubble to the roof,pigments,started the vine and decided it will be a garage.

Tom
 photo house 002_zpswwfzsxnn.jpg  photo house 003_zpswik1z3gr.jpg  photo house 004_zps2ygkuxj8.jpg  photo house 005_zpscs24uorm.jpg  photo house 006_zpsbhdhooci.jpg  photo house 007_zpsgycplxei.jpg
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2016 - 01:45 AM UTC
Tom, That's looking really good ... I like the creeping vines!

Just got some more MiniArt dio stuff in the other day. Hopefully, I'll be getting at it soon!

—mike
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 01:15 AM UTC
Thanks Mike,cominig along.
Now it's the best it's going to get, started on the fun part of dio's.
I decided it will be on a small hill. Cut styro to fit. Gives me a good base to add interior details.
First marked out were the building will be .Then a base coat of the ground cover. Doesn't need to be perfect, will be covered.It will be on a rather large base ,with a road at the bottom of the hill. Some paint on the bottom to stop warping.
Tom
 photo shed2 001_zpsyodtfqon.jpg  photo shed2 002_zpse4qkgje0.jpg  photo shed2 003_zpsufgq91yo.jpg  photo shed2 004_zpsxhaeikdh.jpghttp://put.url.here/image.file" BORDER="0">  photo shed2 005_zpsfzupxr6h.jpg  photo shed2 006_zps84jer4dn.jpg  photo shed2 007_zpsjdrzlxbk.jpg  photo shed2 008_zpspkzj5qgq.jpg  photo shed2 009_zpstbigtcdw.jpg
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi all,
Short update on this.
Tons of time working on the interior.I thought the loft should be part storage parts and part attic.Added some of both,parts,old photos.
Started work on some figures.One will look out the upstairs window.
Also working on a Bronco car from hell.Parts are ridiculous small.
This is getting much bigger than I wanted,but I still have to add a second base for the AFV's.
Forgot to mention,most tools and equipment are from Italeri.
Great kit for small tools if you need them.
Tom
 photo shed3 001_zpsjfh4e87f.jpg  photo shed3 002_zpsbw0ajjmn.jpg  photo shed3 004_zps0uervjot.jpg  photo shed3 005_zpswwo2jomo.jpg  photo shed3 006_zps3dxvq1ki.jpg  photo shed3 003_zps0zggwz8q.jpg
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 12:24 AM UTC
You may have had problems with the vacuform but you overcame them nicely it looks like to me. This has really come along buddy! Looks great. I like all the little details you added,signage,etc.
J
Lakota
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 1,202 posts
Armorama: 635 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 04:45 AM UTC
Great work Tom!
I agree entirely with Jerry. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing with us. I haven't tried a MiniArt kit yet but I have one in the stash, a Russian AT gun in a ruin.
Take care,
Don "Lakota"
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2016 - 03:18 PM UTC
Beautiful work Tom , vacuform scares me like a blind date .
You've done a fantastic job of this .
All the clutter and attention to detail , cool .
I do have to agree with Bob Davis , the roof is thicker than the concrete on my driveway , no fault of yours but from a construction viewpoint what were they thinking .
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2016 - 01:49 AM UTC
Totally right.It's been bothering me to.Im thinking of drilling and adding timber to the roof,painting the top half brown.
Started the bottom half of the base today.This is going to be much larger than I thought.
Keep you updated.

Tom
Vicious
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,517 posts
Armorama: 1,109 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 05:22 AM UTC
Really nice!..the only thing i find little bit odd for me in the 2 "Cinzano" sign's ...why advertise a italian liquor in a French Garage?...
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 08:19 AM UTC
I've built a few and if I'm honest I didn't get a minutes pleasure out of building them. I've got about half a dozen I picked up cheap off ebay to build as well. Whilst they are bloody horrible to build and consime great quantities of filler, with patience they can turn out quite good. Yours looks good Tom even though you seem to have had a nightmare building it. One thing I do find frustrating about their buildings (the battle damaged ones)they always seem to have the damage at the same end kit to kit so it makes using a few together a bit difficult if say they've all had the right hand side of the building demolished. If they'd thought that buildings A and B would look good together, if they had opposing ends blown off you could position them as part of a row with a building in the middle completely destroyed leaving a gap. It's a bit difficult if they've all had the right hand side blown up I don't know why they've not thought of this. I used one of their diorama sets last year to do an Arnhem dio. I added a lot to one of the buildings as it was a bit basic for what I wanted but was a great building block as I added a wall to the top to give a slanted roof, framework in the roof, floors etc so they are very useful in that respect. This is the one I did it with. It's one of their first ones called Polish City Building and has a flat roof and one floor which is non existant

It's unrecognisable to the kit now as I added so much to it. I like the fact that you can add your own dimension to it but I've got to admit vacform is not a good medium. As Al pointed out if they moved away from vacform inevitably the prices would go up. Also in their favour is the weight. I don't show my finished models but as I mainly work towards dios I'd want to keep them as light as possible if I was transporting them about. A full street scene would be very heavy if it was all plaster. I've looked at some of the plaster buildings as an option but some of them are absolutely dire. I looked at some of the Fields Of Glory ones and they looked dreadful and there was nothing I could think of to improve them. At least with Miniarts, they're in proportion and the detailing is nice. Am I a fan of the Miniart buildings? I don't enjoy building them as it's frustrating and not at all easy. I do however like the fact that costwise they're reasonable, you get plenty of spares should you want to scratchbuild something, there's a nice variety of styles of building and should you want to you can modify them quite extensively. I bought two Lithuanian buildings recently. One so I can have it on a corner as it's meant to be and one I intend to flatten out as someone did very well for a Berlin dio on here

http://armorama.com/forums/202287&ord=&page=1

This was a great example of what you can do with them as a base building. I feel your pain Tom but until someone comes up with a better idea at the same price we'll have to make do.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 08:25 AM UTC
Tom, what did you use for the vines? They look really effective.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 04:10 AM UTC
Hi guys,
The Cizano signs are really good point.Really didn't research or know.Removed the one on front,I'll leave the one inside.Maybe the owner is a collector?
All your comments are correct Karl.Good job on yours.
The vines are Woodland Scenics foliage. I tear small strips and spray with water.Spread them apart and use diluted white glue to attach them.Usually not as thick,but in this case to hide a lot of the buildings defects.
Working on the bottom section tonight and will update soon.

Thanks for looking in.

Tom
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hi all,
Back with updates.Been working on figures and the vehicles.
Actually have more updates still in the camera.
Upload today.I have become obsessed with this dio.
The 2 guys sitting on the ground are actually tank riders for the Firefly I plan to add.Thought I'd leave them in because I realized they can also be used as soldiers at rest.
Nice weather coming and will get better outside pics soon.
Still a lot of work to do here.

Tom .
 photo shed4 009_zps6ul9q7mi.jpg  photo shed4 013_zpsbhtqnkou.jpg  photo shed4 014_zpsgzpxrfcs.jpg  photo shed4 015_zpsywitjacf.jpg  photo shed4 017_zpsejsfwabk.jpg  photo shed4 021_zpswgqkmycv.jpg  photo shed4 022_zpspknlggyb.jpg  photo shed4 025_zpsoqtymzfh.jpg  photo shed4 027_zpsmhgjbeoz.jpg  photo shed4 029_zpsnk6fduwb.jpg  photo shed4 030_zpsgmnycuug.jpg
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 02:23 AM UTC
Well,for all the ranting about Miniart you sure made it all look good!
J
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 10:37 PM UTC
Thanks Jerry,
My rant still stands,but moving on.I'll still use Miniart for plans ,but will scratch in the future.
Here's the vehicles I plan to use.Added the telephone wires and yet to straighten them more at the ends.Thinking of adding a guy to the roof repairing it.

Tom
 photo shed6 001_zpskmleyyi7.jpg  photo shed6 011_zpsxcyktebu.jpg  photo shed6 010_zpsxs3vsqdo.jpg  photo shed6 009_zps3tgoszhv.jpg  photo shed6 008_zps9gxbkvuy.jpg  photo shed6 007_zps9jrkjvci.jpg  photo shed6 006_zpsewdrppmz.jpg  photo shed6 006_zpsivqxagi4.jpg  photo shed6 006_zpsxk2lyzpw.jpg  photo shed6 003_zpseuf5g84j.jpg  photo shed6 002_zpsxb5ajge4.jpg
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hi all,
Back to haunt you with this.Got some outside pics finally.
Still working on the vehicles,details and figures. Lots of figures and I'm not great at doing them.

Tom
 photo outside 001_zpsq0aus4zu.jpg  photo outside 002_zpskumfptkk.jpg photo outside 003_zpsncmqhugg.jpg  photo outside 004_zpshjeajr5c.jpg  photo outside 005_zpswuo4gszl.jpg  photo outside 006_zps9cfgdnkq.jpg  photo outside 007_zpsf6r2fm3t.jpg  photo outside 008_zpspiknjg3p.jpg  photo outside 009_zpsewsdiviz.jpg  photo outside 010_zpsj59wnjki.jpg photo outside 011_zpszeexmgrr.jpg  photo outside 012_zps0ywooyux.jpg
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 02:44 AM UTC
There is nothing like natural light to take good pics as Nick has shown us many times! These look really good man!
J
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:30 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Been a while. Really got caught up on this one. Still some touch ups,but I'm ready to say done.
Couldn't decide on the 3rd vehicle,Quade was too wide, so ended up with truck. Telephone wires wouldn't stay up with glue, so the ends are actual wire and in between thread. Figures!!!.I'm not very good. Very slowly getting better. At the most I would say OK.It's a total mix of Tamiya,MB and Bronco. The guy on the roof is scratch from the body parts box. Almost 30 figs.Insane for me to try.
Anyway, thanks for looking and great modeling.
Happy Canada Day and Fourth of July.
PS.A lot of pics.Ended up on a golf course to get rid of the background suburban houses and so on.

Tom  photo golf 016_zpspjzr2nbi.jpg  photo golf 015_zpsuqicoie1.jpg  photo golf 014_zpswgzbqzvt.jpg  photo golf 013_zpsn5aotibg.jpg  photo golf 011_zps2cmg7dfx.jpg  photo golf 010_zpsbh6nlvlc.jpg  photo golf 010_zpsvistfgdt.jpg  photo golf 009_zpsrgyrsy8m.jpg  photo golf 008_zps9rgvyu6t.jpg photo golf 007_zpsbott32fs.jpg  photo golf 006_zpsucngekcn.jpg  photo golf 005_zpskvg5lvd8.jpg  photo golf 004_zpspcpyghea.jpg  photo golf 003_zpssrnzypjr.jpg  photo golf 002_zpsca3zcj6c.jpg  photo golf 002_zpsxqvrp4sy.jpg  photo golf 001_zpsgh9kyzqc.jpg
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hi Tom - you sure did a great job pulling all of this together! Looks great! Thanks for posting lots of pics!

Cheers
Nick
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 02:38 AM UTC
Hi Tom,
Nice work sticking to your guns with your "rant" project — looks fantastic! The guy on the roof adds a nice bit of interest and depicts the repair work in progress very nicely. I think he was well worth the extra effort.

Now that the dio is finished, it kinda deserves a feature with a better title, don't you think?

—mike
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 - 01:18 AM UTC
Thanks guys,
Been a lot of work and time. Wish the photos were better.
Thanks for sticking with the posts. I know a lot of people see posts as "oh no" ,more from this guy.
I left it on the rant to show beginning to end.
Mike,do you know how to add to Features?
Thinking of "D DAY - DAY 3".

Tom