_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
LSSAH Panther Gs during Ardennes
Johnny-Vendetta
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2016 - 06:46 PM UTC
Hi Folks,

I'm planning on building a Diorama of Kampfgruppe Peiper containing a Tiger II, Sdkfz 251/1 and a Panther G. To go a bit more in detail I want to display all three vehicles standing on a woody road after the first fightings.

For the Panther G I use the Dragon 6268 Kit with the complete Aber Models PE set and Masterclub metal tracks.

I have Vol I of Duel in the Mist, but I need help in deciding which specific Panther G I could build to be accurate. My Idea was a rubber wheeled Panther G with round mantlet, no flammvernichter, Spare track holders on turret and welded exhaust armor. Could you help me with Turret Nr. or pics?

Regards

Mannloon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 12:35 AM UTC
Peipers second in command SS-Sturmbannführer Werner Pötschke

Johnny-Vendetta
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 01:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply.

I know this Image and I am struggling between this 151 and Unterscharführer Rech's 214.

I will start a Build log and ask any further questions there so this here can be closed.

Hope to see you there.
Regards
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 01:20 AM UTC
Johnny,

I have the first two books of the Duel in the Mist series and I did Rech's Panther a few years back. My build represents his tank during the battle of Stoumont.

Here's the link to my site with some pictures and background on my build.

Dave.

https://ghmicro.wixsite.com/twis-first-cut
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Johnny,

I have the first two books of the Duel in the Mist series and I did Rech's Panther a few years back. My build represents his tank during the battle of Stoumont.

Here's the link to my site with some pictures and background on my build.

David.

http://ghmicro.wix.com/twis-first-cut#!blank/c136a

Really nice job on that cat!! Colors are great and I also love the natural cammo using branches.
J
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the reply.

I know this Image and I am struggling between this 151 and Unterscharführer Rech's 214.

I will start a Build log and ask any further questions there so this here can be closed.

Hope to see you there.
Regards

In your beginning post you said you wanted to portray the beginning of the battle. If so,you need to use a Panther from the "spitze" and that would be from the 1st Kompanie,which led the attack up until the attack on Stoumont. The 251's were around for the whole offensive and didn't have markings,in fact,had the license plates covered with paint or mud as well as Div. markings,if any. The Tigers were not involved with the beginning battles and they weren't used until the Kg was surrounded,plus a few between LeGleize and Stavelot so your scenerio may have to be revised? Maybe you could show the Kg assembling before the attack at Blankenheim and have the Panther and 251 passing by a broken down Tiger?
J
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 12:00 AM UTC
Bear in mind that 151 is a Befehlspanzer so there will be some mods to make. Panzer Tracts 5-3 is an excellent reference source and costs less than a Dragon Panther.
Johnny-Vendetta
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2016 - 12:41 PM UTC
Hi,

@Robert
Panzer Tracts 5-3 is on my list, thx.

@Jerry
I did think about your post as it is right that "after the first fightings" isn't much precise.

Please join my Build log,
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/246970&page=1
so we can share ideas there.
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 - 06:25 AM UTC
Glad you like it. the Camo are suppose to represent Pine Boughs which were used quite often on tanks during the battle.
 _GOTOTOP