_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Amusing hobby vs hobby boss leopard vk1602
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 04:50 PM UTC
I am thinking about building a 1/35 German leopard VK1602 recon tank. Which of the two offerings is better? Hobby boss or amusing hobby?

I looked at the instructions available at CO 1999, it seems the turret parts break down on the hobby boss kit is exactly identical to the turret in dragon's 234/2 puma kit. Does anyone know if hobbyboss reused dragon molds for the turret? Or is it coincidence?
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 07:48 PM UTC
I've seen comments from people who built the HobbyBoss kit and they were real unhappy, I'd go with Amusing Hobby, don't have this kit but I have other Amusing Hobby models and it's a top quality brand. HobbyBoss are a bit "hit or miss" in my experience.

Cheers,

Christophe
supaderpa
Visit this Community
Malaysia
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2016 - 08:30 PM UTC
Hi there,

I'm currently building amusing hobby's vk1602 with a few of my own personal tweaks and additions and I must say its definitely a value for money kit. I got it around $25 sans shipping.

It has photoetch skirts, workable though slightly iffy indy link tracks, nice detail and a good amount of extra parts. Almost like Dragon quality but way cheaper.

Can't say much about the HobbyBoss offering since I don't have any experience with that brand but the greater amount of options with the Amusing Hobby kit makes it better in my opinion.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 01:45 AM UTC
Hobby Boss got the turret completely wrong! The Leopard turret looks nothing like the 243/2 armored car. It was sort of like a scaled down Panther turret. Might add here that this was the turret they used on the Luchs (just a small hand full). The whole tank reminds one of a "baby Panther."

gary
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hobby Boss got the turret completely wrong! The Leopard turret looks nothing like the 243/2 armored car. It was sort of like a scaled down Panther turret. Might add here that this was the turret they used on the Luchs (just a small hand full). The whole tank reminds one of a "baby Panther."

gary

I don't know, several sources on the the 234/2 agree it's turret the one originally designed for the leopard, although the thickness of armor on the turret was probably reduced to bring its weight down to accommodate the 234 wheeled chassis.

Since the Leopard was never actually built, it would be difficult to say whether that turret design would have changed had leopard development continued. I've seen no picture or illustration of the leopard where turret really resembled those of Panther, except in a general way, being six sided. It always had the pig snout mantlet, no copula, no rear access hatch, in other words consistent with the 234/2 turret.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gary

I don't know, several sources on the the 234/2 agree it's turret the one originally designed for the leopard, although the thickness of armor on the turret was probably reduced to bring its weight down to accommodate the 234 wheeled chassis.

Since the Leopard was never actually built, it would be difficult to say whether that turret design would have changed had leopard development continued. I've seen no picture or illustration of the leopard where turret really resembled those of Panther, except in a general way, being six sided. It always had the pig snout mantlet, no copula, no rear access hatch, in other words consistent with the 234/2 turret.

It was either on this board or on M.L. that a guy posted drawing taken right off blue prints the Germans used. They were the same as the Leopard, and not remotely close to the 234/2. Yet they both seem to use the same main gun.
gary
Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 07:06 PM UTC
I love the Amusing Hobby version. Workable tracks, metal schurzen, PE grills, plastic molds to help you bend the PE (such as the star antennae), and a workable suspension if you modify it a little.
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2016 - 09:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gary

It was either on this board or on M.L. that a guy posted drawing taken right off blue prints the Germans used. They were the same as the Leopard, and not remotely close to the 234/2. Yet they both seem to use the same main gun.
gary

Well, the amusing hobby version of the leopard also sported a very 234/2 like turret, the only difference is amusing hobby one has a Panther style escape hatch on the back of the turret. So neither of the two modeling options really offer a turret that is substantially different from dragon's 234/2 turret.
 _GOTOTOP