_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Sheridan Tank by Jaguar
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 01:02 AM UTC
Folks--I am an avid World War II Sherman tank modeler. Some deviate sensation struck me when asked "what do you want for Christmas?" I responded to me Beloved Wife, "Why a Sheridan Tank by Jaguar models." I now have said model. Has anyone attempted to construct this one? The instruction sheet is terrible. Thanks DJ :-)
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 01:35 AM UTC
Good luck DJ, I put this into the "Be careful for what you wish for category". I hear it is a beauty when completed though.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 01:41 AM UTC
DJ - I've got one going right now. It is a handful, but beautifully detailed. I had some serious warpage problems between the upper and lower hull 'slabs' of resin. I had to shim my turret too, as it doesn't 'sit' properly in the hole set into the upper hull. I haven't painted it yet, but do have a couple of contrast picture on my website of the naked model...

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 03:06 AM UTC
Appreciate your input. I will check Gunnie's website. Unfortunately, during my military career I never served with an M 551 unit. I can take any of the M-60 series apart with a pocket knife, but Sheridan is another story. The main problem was the armor protection surrounding the cupola. I solved that through innumerable website visits. Now, however, the blasted tracks I believe the kit did not have enough shoes so I bought another set and am progressing. Putting the hull together was a challenge! More to follow.
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 03:16 AM UTC
Gunnie--I just visited your website. Wow! Your M-8/M-20 bring tears to my eyes. Well done.
DJ
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 03:23 AM UTC
DJ,
Welcome aboard. Hope this site (and Gunnie's) can be of help with your project. When you get it finished I am sure we would all love to see it.

Cheers,
Jim
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 03:58 AM UTC
Thanks DJ for the compliments on my Armored Cars - and we'd love to see your Sheridan when you finish it! I'll upload mine here too when done.

How's about those funky road wheels in the Jaguar kit!

Gunnie
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can take any of the M-60 series apart with a pocket knife, but Sheridan is another story.

You're not an old M60A1 tanker are you? My platoon sergeant (he was a new guy) once cease-fired a TTVIII run because the tank making the run had its loader's seat stuffed in front of the left blister. He forgot that A3s didn't use the coincidence range finder.
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 07:14 PM UTC
Sorry, I forget you all don't talk the talk. (note slight use of Southern expression, like all good armor officers, I married a Kentucky woman).

Translation: TTVIII or Tank Table 8 is individual tank crew gunnery qualification. Like all soldiers qualify on a rifle or pistol, tank crews must qualify their tank. 10 engagements worth 100 points each, you must score at least 70 points on at least 7 engagements AND have over 700 points total to qualify. Very big deal in the armor/cavalry units.

Coincidence rangefinder is the old binocular-type of range determination. If you look at any M-48 or M-60 series tank, you will see a coffee can-sized blister that sticks out of the right and left side of the turret. This is the coincidence range finder, basically a large binocular.

Anyway, on the older style tanks, there can be no obstructions in front of either blister, or you can't determine range. But on the M60A3, the left blister is bolted over and a laser rangefinder is used from the right blister. The platoon sergeant had never been on M60A3s and was trained on M60A1s; therefore when he saw the left blister blocked, he thought the crew made an error and was trying to correct it before the started their qualification. He just embarrassed himself with his lack of knowledge.
 _GOTOTOP