Hosted by Darren Baker
Wall / foundations scratch buildings
69mudbone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 08:53 PM UTC
What are good materials I can use to scratch build walls for building . I was thinking something along the line of plywood may be half inch. I am a recruit, had Paines' book years ago needless to say things have changed since the old days. I guess some kind of foam is used. Any help?
ironelf
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 09:08 PM UTC
Heavy card stock and/or foam core work great and are so much lighter. Cork sheet is terrific too and even plastic sheet. Basically, just about anything except plywood I would think unless you are building a monster diorama.

Cheers!

Chris
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 09:13 PM UTC
Stuff like this: http://elmers.com/product/detail/950398 is easy to cut and shape, and lightweight.
165thspc
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 9,465 posts
Armorama: 8,695 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 09:43 PM UTC
Might want to check out this thread - some great stuff there:

"Like, but not the Bladerunner"

http://armorama.com/forums/246554
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 964 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2016 - 11:04 PM UTC
You'll find modelers are a bunch with varying opinions on materials they use. I use Styrofoam insulation board, aka pink board or blue board; you can pick it up in 1/2 inch thick 4x8 sheets at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. for under $20.00 a sheet. It cuts easily, saves on weight, you can glue it with Elmers' and it gives you plausible deniability - it's insulation you can tell SWMBO it's for the house (LOL).
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 11:54 AM UTC
Hi - I've got to agree with the comments above - if you're building something that's supposed to look like stone or plaster insulating rigid pink or blue foam works really well and is light -

As Mike mentioned above, I just started a project using corrugated plastic with cork glued to it. This works pretty well for masonry or other surfaces that are intended to look "crisp" as opposed to stone or plaster which looks more "rounded".

If you take a look on through the dio posts I've got a couple of builds that more or less show step by step for pink foam (Rough Road, on the Road Again; and, Big Punch Big Push). The first is set in Afganistan and includes a rural stone and plaster building. The other, a masonry building in Sadr City, Iraq. The foam works pretty well, but you have to work a bit to keep it square - and it makes a mess when cutting - foam debris everywhere!

Each of the alternatives are fairly light, and much easier to use than plywood.

Go for it an see if you find what you're looking for,
Cheers
Nick
 _GOTOTOP