_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help needed - Budget Build
Lt_Pinney
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 10:01 PM UTC
This is my first post, and as a first project (and because I'm strapped for cash) I am setting out to make a impressive diorama on a budget, by which I mean, keeping all costs low as possible. I've chosen an ambitious project, creating a medium sized diorama based around the SFOR deployment in Bosnia in the mid 90's. For the 'centerpiece' of this project, I intend to use the Hobbyboss Leopard 2A4, in Dutch SFOR markings patrolling along a road, coming across a compound sort of thing that contains some AFV wreck.

After doing some research on the whole thing, to keep costs low, I hope to be able to use a kit I already own for this wreck. This rather limits my choice down to a Serb SA-6 or Bosnian M18 Hellcat. None of this kit building and painting is going to be a problem, however, the landscape and other features of the dio are a different story.

Again, to keep a low cost on things, I ideally want to make my own walls and things similar out of plaster. None of this sort of thing have I ever tried before, so I ask if any of you want to take pity on me and give me a few tips or tricks on how to do some of this sort of thing, it would be greatly appreciated, as there is only so much I've come across on my own personal lurking on forums and the few how-to sites I've ever found.

When things do start progressing, I will add to this thread my progress to show you all how its getting on.

As I said before, your chaps advice would be awesome to get, and of great value to me. Any help received will be credited at the end of things too.

Cheers all,

Lt_Pinney
Tank1812
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 886 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2016 - 11:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Again, to keep a low cost on things, I ideally want to make my own walls and things similar out of plaster. None of this sort of thing have I ever tried before, so I ask if any of you want to take pity on me and give me a few tips or tricks on how to do some of this sort of thing

Look at 'Like, but not the Bladerunner' build, Nick used plaster for the foundation. Make it the same way you do for real concrete walls, he made a form, had strengthening items like wire for rebar, etc, added a little color and you have a wall.

HTH

pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 12:58 AM UTC
Good luck, Lt. on your project. I don't know what low budget you have but look around for all kinds of resources. I found the sand I needed in an aquarium store. I just had to let it dry out. You can find all kinds of stuff at crafts stores. This is a great place to hand out and ask questions...

Keep in contact.
jasperck
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 01:33 AM UTC
Check out the Terrain Tutor's YouTube videos on making buildings with foamcore, balsa, and plaster. I've made a few custom pieces this way and they turn out great every time!
As for plants, I've found that dried hydrangea stems work very well for small trees. You can make leaves using turf or just leave them as is for a late fall or winter scene.
Jack_Turmoil
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 02:42 AM UTC
I'm really digging the concept. I think it would be really cool with the SA6. I understand the budget constraints. I've been trying to scratch build a bit more, to save money. I really find I enjoy it, too. I cast my walls with plaster. I make a form with heavy card stock and blue tape, reinforced with popsicle sticks on the outside and pour the plaster into it. Plaster is easy to make bullet holes and destroyed walls with. I've had some success dying it, as well, with tempera paint, which is inexpensive. Maybe you could mock up some of the walls with some foam board. This would be a way, to get the dimensions down, before making the plaster moulds. I'd suggest getting the Tamiya 1/35 Jerry Can Set #35026. It is cheap and comes with 6 Drums, Jerry Cans and 4 Buckets. They might add to the diorama, without a lot of extra cost.
pnance26
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 766 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 03:00 AM UTC
I just thought of something else when someone mentioned the Tamiya drum set... you might ask around if anyone has any "spares" to throw your way from their junk box. If you are in England, that might be less cost effective, but just a thought...

Ask for anything someone could donate to your project. Might work!
Lt_Pinney
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 03:19 AM UTC
Thanks for all your replies chaps! Over the past few hours I've been slowly creating a list of things which will need to be bought, and so far, its looking to be under £50, this is factoring in the Leopard kit which is yet to be bought. If I had the Leopard before I took on this project, I think it could all be done for at least £30, which isn't too bad. I will continue to update this figure as things progress.

A lot of those things like buckets and the like I do have in my own less than impressive spares box, but I've come across these tamiya sets many times while looking for the cheapest bits tonight, and certainly look like a good little set. I feel this project will be won with the smaller details of the scene more than anything.

Regardless, your ideas and contributions to this thread/project will be invaluable, thanks again all!
fuselier63
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 37 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 03:33 AM UTC
Looks like a nice project, but beware; the Dutch didn't use tanks in Bosnia. I think the biggest vehicle the Dutch army used was the YPR 765, wich incidently, is available from AFV Club.
Albeid maybe to expensive for your project.
 _GOTOTOP