_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
PzKpfw 38t questions
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 02:04 PM UTC
I've got the old Italeri PzKpfw 38t kit and I bought the Maquette individual tracks links to replace the kit tracks. The Maquette tracks come with a complete set of running gear, road wheels, idler wheels, sprockets, leaf springs, support rollers, etc. (not bad for $6).

I noticed the Maquette road wheels are noticeably smaller in diameter than the Italeri road wheels. Which road wheels are correct, or are they both correct?

Second question is that the kit shows a marking option for a Czech tank. Does anything have to be done to the kit to make it a pre-conquered Czech tank?
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2004 - 02:09 PM UTC
Hi Rob-

I may be mistaken on this... so please take this for what it is worth.. lol

I think that the Italeri 38t running gear came from the Hetzer kit and are a bit too large. The extras you got would be more appropriate, if I recall correctly.

HTH-
Jeff
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hi Sabot ..First I guess you do know that Italeri's 38T is a mix of different features and does not represent a real model...second there is a hatch for the driver that is completly missing ..yes the wheels were made too large for a 38t but too small for the Hetzer...If you really want to build a 38t I would suggest you pick up the Maquette kit (which isn't up to todays standard but much better than the Italeri kit)or wait and see if Tamiya will surprise us with a brand new kit!! (Still waiting for them to expand their Panzer II base that they used on the Wespe).. I'm not familiar with the Italeri kit but to use it as a Czech tank just don't use the notex light if they had one ...I did pick up the Royal model kit for the 38t and it will help out on the old kit if you really have your mind set on building it ..I'll be using parts to build the Maquette kit . Tamiya where are you when we need you???? lol

Rick
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 05:25 AM UTC
Thanks Rick and Jeff. The information that has been coming my way suggests the same thing. The Italeri road wheels are too big for a 38t. Good thing the Maquette individual link set came with the complete running gear for their 38t series.

On another note, someone offered up the Show Modeling 38t PE set (ref #096). Was this set geared towards the Italeri kit? If not, does anyone know if it is compatible with the Italeri kit?

I'm not planning to buy several variants of 38t chassised vehicles to make the tank, I just wanted a cheap set of individual tracks since I recalled the kit tracks were rather stiff.
 _GOTOTOP