_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
FEATURE
Diorama or Bust
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 10:21 PM UTC
Tim Martin shares with us his idea of modelling and getting just the photograph he is after.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bprice1974
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 11:26 PM UTC
Amazing work and photography. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 11:38 PM UTC
these pictures look very realistic, as if they're the real deal. i almost forgot that they are just model builds. may i ask, how are the explosions made in some of the pictures? because that's what makes you think they are real.
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2016 - 11:54 PM UTC
Awesome Work. Some of those Pictures really looks like the real deal. It sort of takes me back to the good old days, When Verlinden published those dioramas in Black and White with a back ground Picture.
Jacob
ULIX-VM
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
KitMaker: 834 posts
Armorama: 649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 02:45 AM UTC
the diorama special are 5/5.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 09:50 AM UTC
Works for me. Some of the scenes are almost indistinguishable from the real thing.
KevPak
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2016 - 05:22 PM UTC
Amazing shots - I esp like the ones set in the railway station itself. Did you look into whether any companies manufacture Soviet WW II railway cars?
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 07:04 AM UTC
Great stuff Tim - Thanks for posting! I really like the 'natural' settings and the action shots. Are you telling us those explosions are for 'real'?! I don't think many would put their fine models up for that treatment! I think
you have that market cornered! :-)

(Oh rats! Now hitting 'enter' does not sumbit my reply!!!!)
BUTA46
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 02:41 PM UTC
Great stuff Tim!!! Message to Jerry Rutman: stop throwing the old models away!! Send them to Tim for "recycling"
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,476 posts
Armorama: 1,463 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 04:34 PM UTC
Thanks guys for your kind comments, much appreciated. In reply;

I guess it was always going to come up, what makes it go bang. I’m reluctant to elaborate for reasons I covered in a reply (May 10) within my original Diorama forum post last week (“Alternative reality”). All I’ll add is that the combustion agents are freely available in any supermarket or convenience store, and the shells are made of different materials depending on their placement. It took a while to perfect a fuse that gave me enough time to duck but not long enough to melt the model. One problem I haven’t resolved is thick black smoke, I’ve tried most materials with significant carbon content but miniaturisation adds a degree of difficulty. If/when I nail it you’ll be the first to know.

Leading on from that, yes I half thought submitting the Feature article was futile because the sponsors of this site wouldn’t be impressed I appeared to be destroying their products. However apart from the odd pioneer tool or aerial, all targets surprisingly came through unscathed (even the Marder III)….well, except a Dragon early Hummel - I replaced its barrel with what was effectively a brass pipe bomb in an attempt to capture a shell being fired. Got it right eventually, but two successive ignition malfunctions resulted in total rebuilds of the entire fighting compartment. I never found the first barrel, it’s possibly still in orbit.

So to counter any suspicion it’s fakery I’m posting a full sequence of single-frames of the clip of the Tamiya SdKfz 222 back-flipping - you can find them under today’s date in my original post to the Diorama forum “Alternative reality” (And Kevin, there’s a few train shots there too plus a reply to your query).
Tim
billflorig
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 09:13 PM UTC

Tim, absolutely impressive and motivational! have you thought about trying a green or blue screen then adding in blast effects later? I have got to give this a try now....shrapnel be damned!
scottie158
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 12:53 AM UTC
A very interesting thread, some very good pictures I struggle to take a simple picture
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 05:10 PM UTC
Thanks guys, to answer both comments above at once; as I said in the article I use what most self-respecting photographers would class as a crappy little camera - although I would disagree, I've been an Olympus fan all my life and they've served me well, even the 2008 bottom-of-the range model I use now. And I'm nowhere near a good photographer, I have next-to-zero technical knowledge.
All_You_Can_Kit
Visit this Community
Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 527 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2016 - 11:53 AM UTC
Very incredible shots of scenery... I put my interest on how you present your work with railway tracks there and I learn a lot from your work, many thanks for your sharing, mate!

Warm regards,

Garry
Dioramartin
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 07:08 AM UTC
Thanks Ricky,

I assume you found the other train photos in the "Alternative Reality" post too? (last activity 14th May 2016). A mate has ever since been trying to provoke me into an explosive derailment dio (Russian partisans, dynamited track, loco & trucks crashing down an embankment etc. Maybe next year.

Cheers, Tim
 _GOTOTOP