_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Did DAK field any of these?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 07:49 PM UTC
Did DAK field any of these? http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=DRA6721 This mounts the 5 cm. PAK 38.
treadstone
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 08:34 PM UTC
I am a big fan of the DAK and searched high and low for photos of Marder II in North Africa, I have found only one photo of this vehicle, on pg 67 of Concords Panzers in North Africa.
RonV
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 - 10:03 PM UTC
My research for the artwork indicates that only one. or possibly two, of these were converted locally in an Eastern Front workshop. The chassis donor was a salvaged Panzer IIC as far as can be determined. DAK service somewhat unlikely.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 03:58 AM UTC
Mmmm....another famous one-off (or two-off) custom job from Dragon. And BS in the kit description.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 04:41 AM UTC
Ho hum, yawn, yet again DML produce a kit of a vehicle of which there were only a couple made, and STILL no Bergepanther, of which there were several hundred!

Regards

Rob

jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 05:41 AM UTC
Another one of those rare German field built Panzerjager's that there was only a couple made.If you should look at most of Germany's Panzer there was a few built of this model and a few built of this model.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 05:48 AM UTC
There are two pics of this vehicle on pg 41 of the Encyclopedia of German Tanks of WWII by Chamberlain & Doyle. They describe it as a field mod probably based on the Pz. II A, B, or C chassis. There is no info on where dispersed or in what numbers.

The pics don't show enough detail to wager a strong guess as to the location.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 06:55 AM UTC
IIRC there are other pics of this, some interior shots as well in the Bundesarchiv collection. Though I think it was taken at a depot / scrapyard. Not much clue as to where it was deployed.
billflorig
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 11:46 AM UTC
Since we're on the subject...I have a Tristar Panzer IVC and would love to do it in DAK colors. Did any PZ IVC serve in North Afrika???

Thanks,

Bill
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 09:16 PM UTC
My best memory says no. I recall the "E" as being the first model in Africa, which you can't convert your "C" into as there are some large external differences.
Homer0331
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My best memory says no. I recall the "E" as being the first model in Africa, which you can't convert your "C" into as there are some large external differences.

There were a smattering of "D" models sent over in the first group from Panzer Regiment 5. Most were "E" models though.
RonV
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 07:38 AM UTC
In my file compiled to produce the box illustration for this kit, I found a dozen photos of this vehicle taken by combat photographer Falk in 1943. The photos are described as "Russland".
Most shots deal with the fitting of the gun while several show the left side as it was completing conversion (welds are unfinished, etc.) It appears to have been a Panzer IIC that it was based on. In the background are several Marder II giving the image the appearance of a workshop.

Two other unattributed photos show such a completed vehicle in service. There are enough differences between these two photos to suggest that more than one were produced but it could be just as easily explained that these were further upgrades of the much photographed vehicle.

One source mentions that this vehicle served with 23rd Panzer Division in the fall of 1943. This would put them near the Dneipre river in southern Ukraine. The 23rd had 128 Panzerjager unit with 14 75mm self-propelled vehicles, possibly Marder II based on Panzer II chassis.

FWIW
Ron Volstad
Mannloon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In my file compiled to produce the box illustration for this kit, I found a dozen photos of this vehicle taken by combat photographer Falk in 1943. The photos are described as "Russland".
Most shots deal with the fitting of the gun while several show the left side as it was completing conversion (welds are unfinished, etc.) It appears to have been a Panzer IIC that it was based on. In the background are several Marder II giving the image the appearance of a workshop.

Two other unattributed photos show such a completed vehicle in service. There are enough differences between these two photos to suggest that more than one were produced but it could be just as easily explained that these were further upgrades of the much photographed vehicle.

One source mentions that this vehicle served with 23rd Panzer Division in the fall of 1943. This would put them near the Dneipre river in southern Ukraine. The 23rd had 128 Panzerjager unit with 14 75mm self-propelled vehicles, possibly Marder II based on Panzer II chassis.

FWIW
Ron Volstad

Ron I've read through an old thread where you talked about your decision to use 212 as the 6253 box art, so I know why you did and I agree by the way. But I'm curious what your go to reference sources are? Online, books, forums in particular?
 _GOTOTOP