_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
A horse of course...
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 06:40 PM UTC
Since returning to the hobby a couple of years ago I have avoided figures like the plague, I just haven't had the confidence to try, and to be honest, I have been a little intimidated by the amazing work that gets posted here. But, time to suck it up and have a go...so I did a horse...there were a couple of false starts and do-overs, but I am pretty happy with how it turned out, so I thought I would post some pics for comments/advice/critique. I am hoping to have some actual human figures done soon as well.

It was painted with acrylics and the shadows/highlights were done with oils and acrylics. There is a scuff on the right rear leg, but that came off.

Thanks!
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 07:15 PM UTC
I think it came out well. I like the semi gloss sheen on the hide. Most guys make the mistake of using a matte finish. I would try to put some age on the harness with a little leather color drybrushing? I would also put a matte finish on the mane and tail and maybe tone down the silver portions of the harness?
J
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 07:17 PM UTC
Nice job! But if you want to take it to the next level, you could use an engraving tool (not electric), and a hot knife/wood burning tool, neither of which are expensive. If you have an airbrush, you'll find painting and shading easier. Engraving tool to undercut harness and straps; and hot knife to define the mane and tail.
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 11:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it came out well. I like the semi gloss sheen on the hide. Most guys make the mistake of using a matte finish. I would try to put some age on the harness with a little leather color drybrushing? I would also put a matte finish on the mane and tail and maybe tone down the silver portions of the harness?
J

Quoted Text

Nice job! But if you want to take it to the next level, you could use an engraving tool (not electric), and a hot knife/wood burning tool, neither of which are expensive. If you have an airbrush, you'll find painting and shading easier. Engraving tool to undercut harness and straps; and hot knife to define the mane and tail.

Thanks guys! Good ideas all, I will go back and dry brush the harness and add some matte coat to the mane and tail. I did try some undercutting and definitely agree that a lot more is needed and would help with the shading. I was a little leery of going too far as I have never done it before but I just have to take the plunge and go for it! I should dig out some old figures and work on the technique. Any particular types of tools to look for? Cheers
viesturs
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2016 - 11:31 PM UTC
Looks very nice , well done.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 07:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any particular types of tools to look for? Cheers

Tools like this: http://www.micromark.com/mini-scrapers-set-of-4,8422.html
And hot knife/soldering gun: http://www.micromark.com/hot-knife-and-soldering-iron,9763.html
The hot knife may seem a little expensive, but it's a tool that will last a very long time. Some kind of rheostat or speed control will be necessary for controlling the temp. I use a very old Dremel speed control that I plug my hot knife and my Dremel into
 _GOTOTOP