_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Can anyone identify this cafe please?
KCJones
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 05:07 AM UTC
I've been sorting through my old toys to sell on Ebay, and I've come across this model of a cafe. This is not my photo - I have a few more pieces than shown here - but when I search for the name of the cafe, "watterinckx cafe" absolutely nothing but one result. Can anyone shed any more light on it please - manufacturer's name, name of the model etc? I think it dates to around the 60s. Either it's extremely rare, or a knock-off. However, the model pieces are of great quality!

covkid
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 07:11 PM UTC

Hi,
your picture takes me back. That cafe was in a Matchbox(in the UK, it may be sold under another name in the US) cafe from an action gift set.It had a couple of boxes of politoy figs- German and US. An m20 scout car that could fire plastic shells a base and a few other accessories for a carpet battle. great fun, hope this is useful.

regards Jason
covkid
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 07:13 PM UTC

Forgot to say this was late 70's early 80's
KCJones
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 07:28 PM UTC
Wow, thanks for the information covkid! I have two tubs of Matchbox vehicles as well so I may actually have the vehicles, some are sadly sold - I hate breaking up sets where possible. I think I have a scout car somewhere though with a firing mechanism. I used to fire matchsticks with it when I was a kid!

I am actually in the UK - just noticed that my profile says US!

I do also have about five bags worth of little plastic soldiers - I think they're matchbox figures - so maybe some of them go with it too!

I think finding out what belongs together is part of the fun of selling your old toys!

Time to try to find something on the web!
covkid
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 08:16 PM UTC

Hi, glad to help, if you had the complete boxed set I think that would be worth a fair bit, I remember seeing one complete and unused for around £200. makes you think, but at least we had fun with ours.

Regards Jason
KCJones
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 08:37 PM UTC
The sad thing is I probably do have the complete set - if only I could find pictures of it!

Still can't find absolutely anything on it other than a wortpoint entry where the image came from which doesn't shed any light either! I'm starting to wonder if it was rebranded with different stickers.

Do you know of any pictures?

I recently found out that I had the complete set to the Airfix pontoon assault set, but sold some of the pontoons not knowing!
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:22 PM UTC
Matchbox Counter Attack playkit #PK-1001 (1/32 scale) :

German market variant :

More pics here :

https://plus.google.com/photos/108508737623308601044/albums/5744945270625044353

H.P.
KCJones
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 09:25 PM UTC
You are amazing! Thank you! off the top of my head, I have some of the tower - some parts I may have (gasp) thrown away not knowing what the heck it was, the cannon may be in with the vintage Action Man. But dang, the complete set looked fun!
 _GOTOTOP