_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Primer?
Wezz
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 826 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hey,
I want to paint my Tiger II tank. But what primer do I need to aply? I want to brush him into the three camo colors!
Thx
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 06:28 AM UTC
you could use a acrliyc primer or an enamel primer also.
testors and tayima both make primers
just make sure its a light color like grey
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hi. I primer everything with either a light gray or red oxide primer. It's called varsity and I get it at the auto parts store for around $2.50 for an 11 oz. can.

If you use the red primer and you are brush-painting your AFV you will probably have to add more coats. But this shouldn't be a problem if you spead your paint out thinly. And you can stop whenever it suits you, even if you wish to let the red primer show through the basic paint as sort of a 'shadow' color underneath.

Good luck and take care, Sgirty
SFC_StJohn
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 10:43 AM UTC
If you are going to use the "salt chipping" technique to show defects in the paint does it matter what type of primer you use?

jackalone72
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 11:00 AM UTC
Krylon Primer is great I use it for all my models figures and tanks Spray can is about $3.00.
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
Hi,
I use an auto primer found at the hardware store. It sprays tight and evenly and I have never had a problem with it. Its a store brand and cost about 2-3 bucks. HTH
cheers,
Bryan
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 11:21 AM UTC
The other week I went to my doctor out of town and sense I was there I stopped at a hoby shop plus an automotive store, and at that time I only heard of Krylon primer being used, I wished I heard of the varsity to save more money, but anyhow I was looking for a deep redish brown for the German primer, and all Krylon had was what they call brown, but the cap is supposed to represent the color of the paint, and Krylon brown matched the other brands red, so I hope I got the right one, plus I heard of someone using bondo putty, so I picked up some Glazing& Spot putty hoping this is what I need also, oh and also they didn't have white primer also so I got Krylon flat white in hopes that this is right to, does anybody know if I screwed up or I'll be able to make use of these items as time goes on. Thank You for any in put. Straightedge
dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 183 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 12:11 PM UTC
I've always used Model Master's primer. The kind that is with all of their car colors. Always seems to hide all the bad stuff
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 - 03:12 AM UTC
I use Krylon as well,never had any trouble and it comes in four colors,usually i use the red oxide one for german tanks as i read german tanks were primed in this color.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, March 01, 2004 - 03:21 PM UTC
If you just want to prime metal or resin parts for better paint adhesion, and the color doesn't matter, I use Tamiya's primer in white or light grey. I use this mainly for metal figures as it is a very fine spray and doesn't clog up fine detail. Plastic doesn't usually require a primer, unless you want the primer to show, through chipped zimmerit, scratched paint, etc, then any reddish-brown acrylic, or whatever, will do.
 _GOTOTOP