_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
UK Centurion from the AFV Shot Kal?
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi all,

I saw a review of the Shot Kal that said the parts were there in the kit to make a British Mk5. Is that accurate? If I can find a set of directions for the NATO release, would that give me what I need to build it that way?

Thanks.
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:46 PM UTC
I think that both engine deck are included in all afv club centurion kits so yes you can build a uk mk 5 centurion... I have the idf shot kal 1973 and in that kit the enigine deck is included
maxim37
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hi there.
Its true that many AFV Club have centurion parts from the other kits.They have the headlight guards for later british versions etc.The IDF shot kal wouldnt make you a British version as it has the upgraded engine and hull extension the israeli used 1973 onwards.The earlier mark 5 kits are more typical.The australian version is better place to start or the earlier 1967 Idf centurion.A nice Suez British version is a nice version to do and Star decals have options.Im sure others will correct me and offer advice.Canadian versions are interesting and Jason Bobrowich and Anthony sewards etc are the gents to help you there.
Good luck with your model
All the best from Richard.
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 12:06 AM UTC
[quote]Hi there.
Its true that many AFV Club have centurion parts from the other kits.They have the headlight guards for later british versions etc.The IDF shot kal wouldnt make you a British version as it has the upgraded engine and hull extension the israeli used 1973 onwards.

But you still have the other engine deck included in that kit also that come from there first centurion kit mk5/1.royal australian armoured corps kit.. But you just dont use it in the shot kal kit.. Maybe i'm wrong but i think you will get all parts included as it's the same sprues in the kits..
maxim37
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 12:12 AM UTC
Hi Roger.
Think you are right.My cents are buried in the cupboard so i cannot check.Shame that Afv club didnt do the Swedish or Danish versions!!!.
Richard
maxim37
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 12:17 AM UTC
Just checked and the 1973 shot kal indeed has the earlier engine deck included so a G.B one can be made!!!!.If you go to Hobbysearch they have kits instruction leaflets as P.D.F so you can look at them to make a G.B version if they have them on the page still.
Cheers from Richard
Removed by original poster on 05/20/16 - 19:18:08 (GMT).
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

I saw a review of the Shot Kal that said the parts were there in the kit to make a British Mk5. Is that accurate? If I can find a set of directions for the NATO release, would that give me what I need to build it that way?

Thanks.

The 1967 and 1973 versions can for sure be built into other versions beyond IDF tanks. The generic sprues for the Centurion are also included in the kits. But, not every part is included as some have been replaced with IDF specific detail parts.

If you want to build a generic British Mk. 5 with the Type B barrel then the Shot 1967 version includes everything you need. I picked one up to build as a Canadian Mk.5.

You can find instructions and sprue images in the link below so you can look through the images to see what is included as extras.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=102&cat=&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=afv+club+centurion
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 05:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Roger.
Think you are right.My cents are buried in the cupboard so i cannot check.Shame that Afv club didnt do the Swedish or Danish versions!!!.
Richard

or South African!
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 07:49 AM UTC
Gents,

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated!

John
laikneth
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hi,

I recently used the afv shot kal 1967 kit to build a fv4005 conversion.

I can confirm that the kit has the parts to build the following:-

Nato Centruion mk 5
Nato centurion mk 5/1
shot kal 1967
australian centurion vietnam version.

It has the earlier engine deck, the different front plates for a mk 5, mk 5/1, australian centurion version and the shot kal 1967.

It has the necessary turret top parts for all 4 versions and it has the extended fuel tank at the hull rear and search light parts for the aussie version.

I've checked because i gone through the hobby search instructions for the nato mk 5 and aussie centurion during the build and found this pleasant surprise.

It's essentially a 4 in 1 kit and a good collectors item if you do not want to keep 4 different kits.

Hope this helps.

thanks.

Kenneth
laikneth
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 08:28 AM UTC
Hi,

Apologies i got the centurion versions wrong. the 1967 shot kal afv kit can be made to the following versions:-

1967 shot kal
Nato mk 5/2 centurion
Nato mk 6 centurion
Aussie mk 5/1 vietnam era centurion.

Still a 4 in 1 kit.

Kenneth
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2016 - 08:07 PM UTC
Kenneth,

Thanks for the extra information! Much appreciated!
 _GOTOTOP