_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
That Old Tamiya JS3
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 12:07 AM UTC
I was wondering what actual version it represents? And was it the type given to Poland?
mark67
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 12:36 AM UTC
Tamiya took measurements for this kit in Warsaw Museum that's for sure. Both Polish IS-3 were delivered sometime 1946/47, so they are early ones and they were no modernized over the period of usage as they were non standard tanks. For your information production numbers od Polish IS-3 are 703.605A58 (preserved in Warsaw) and 703.604A81 (preserved in Poznan).
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 12:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was wondering what actual version it represents? And was it the type given to Poland?

It represents the very first 1945 production batch before the sponson extensions were converted into stowage boxes. There are photoetch sets that include the doors, if you want to update it. The tracks are relatively late type, though-Trumpeter's IS-3M tracks are actually better for an early IS-3 model.
ceerosvk
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 170 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 01:03 AM UTC
it represents the very very first version of the tank used in the Berlin victory parade of 1945. this certain version has never really been deployed in action, as far as i know all the units used in action (the ones egyptian army had for example) were the modernised IS3M version - trumpeter made a IS3M kit a loooooong ago but the quality and accuracy is very poor, nowhere near nowadays trumpeter standard. The Tamyia kit on the other hand is great, needs a few corrections but otherwise more than a decent kit, especially when you combine it with some aftermarket PE.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It represents the very first 1945 production batch before the sponson extensions were converted into stowage boxes. There are photoetch sets that include the doors, if you want to update it. The tracks are relatively late type, though-Trumpeter's IS-3M tracks are actually better for an early IS-3 model.

to be honest those trumpeter js3m tracks are probablu the worst vinyl tracks i've ever held in my hands. may be more accurate but the quality makes them completely useless imo.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 02:21 AM UTC
Nice video of that Berlin 1845 parade here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvbBremhuBI

Cheers,

Christophe
 _GOTOTOP