_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Meng M1A2 build question & pictures
Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 08:55 PM UTC
I'm building the Meng M1A2, and have a couple of fit questions.

Is anyone building, or done with this guy

I'm having a huge issue getting the windows (periscopes) into the commander's cupola - parts J1 (8) into K24. They just seem too big

The offending bits - the clear parts are supposed to go in from below

progress

The tracks are going to be a nightmare - 81 per side

Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:27 PM UTC
Can't help with the periscopes but the tracks are not as daunting as they look. Removal from sprues and clean up are the most tedious part, assembly is rather quick. Meng uses the same type of construction for their Leopard 1A5 which I have just completed. A tips if you don't mind. There should be a jig that allows you to assemble 4-5 links at a time. The track pads trap the pins by pressing the pads together. I found that I could not get the pads to snap properly because the jig flexed too much when applying pressure. My solution was to glue 2 pieces of brass(I used square, hollow) along the length of the jig on the underside. Once I did that the pads snapped together with no problems. Good luck.
Illini
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 09:51 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip. The jig is there at the bottom of the picture.

The instructions call for removing the sprue from the guide pins, and then adding the pads . I left it on, and used it to hold everything down with one finger while I add the "tops". I also found that the "snap fit" wasn't enough. when I started removing the sprues everything started to pop, so I went back and added a tiny bit of glue on the pad in the jig, and then added the top part. Still flexes, but stronger.

when you get one section done, how do you extend it?

kowalski
Visit this Community
Baleares, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 10:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the tip. The jig is there at the bottom of the picture.

The instructions call for removing the sprue from the guide pins, and then adding the pads . I left it on, and used it to hold everything down with one finger while I add the "tops". I also found that the "snap fit" wasn't enough. when I started removing the sprues everything started to pop, so I went back and added a tiny bit of glue on the pad in the jig, and then added the top part. Still flexes, but stronger.

when you get one section done, how do you extend it?

I use the jig to build several sections and then use the jig again to join them as per the instructions. Adding the drop of glue should pose no problem
HTH

Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2016 - 11:53 PM UTC
The jig should allow you to place 2 finished sections together. I did it by putting part of a finished section on one half of the jig and another section on the other half and joining them in the center. Really didn't have any problems joining separate sections. I made a single long run and test fitted it when I thought I was getting close to the proper length adding 1 link at a time till they met. I didn't want to have to worry about a completed track that was too long and having to pry apart the pads etc. to shorten it. Good luck.
 _GOTOTOP