_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
back after a long time away
SGTEdens
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 10:54 AM UTC
Hello gentlemen I used to come on this site many moons ago and now I have came back to this great hobby. It has been a very long time since I painted anything. I have had spinal cord surgeries and it has left me disabled in my right hand (my painting hand ). after years of not painting and when I did getting upset as I can't paint as good as I did prior. I finally said to heck with it I'm going to paint anyway. As soon as I find out how to post photos I will be adding some of my recent work. Looking forward to getting back into it and hearing from all of you fine gentlemen.

Rick
SGTEdens
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:03 AM UTC

I am hoping this is how you do this.

the first picture is of the box art for this kit. the second one is my version of it.

Rick.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:07 AM UTC
Welcome back!

I also had various things happen (Bell's Palsy, 2 strokes) that have made things difficult but I wasn't that great a modeler to begin with. I still enjoy the hobby.

PS: Just saw your post. I couldn't paint like that even before my ailments!
SGTEdens
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:22 AM UTC
Nice to meet you Gary and thanks for the compliment. I need to get better photos, but the idea was there . You for sure know how it is with the ailments we suffer from. The hardest part for me is just holding the brush . If I get to tightly a grip on the brush my hand and arm spasms unannounced and it messes up my painting ability. Makes you mad when your doing a decent job then wham arm goes nuts and there's paint where it doesn't need to be. I will have some better photo's tomorrow for you guys.
Rick.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 11:42 AM UTC
Welcome back, Rick.. and that's very nice painting even without any medical problems.. hope to see more of your work here.

Here's your full size pic.. you just copied the link to the thumbnail.. what you need to do is click on the icon to the right of that link and it will give you the "Direct Link" to the full size pic.

Hisham
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 03:33 PM UTC
Really fine work Rick- when considering what you have battled with it is nothing short of stunning. Thanks for sharing it with us- I too hope to see more of your work.
Lonewolf7usa
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 312 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 06:12 PM UTC
Hey welcome back! I have back issues too but this hobby keeps me sane so....... Looking forward to seeing more of your work!! Again, Welcome back
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 06:29 PM UTC
Welcome back buddy! I am also on that injured list and I can feel your pain and frustration very well.
You are doing a remarkable job compensating for the injury though as this painting is very very nice. I like the style as it doesn't have the "cartoon look" of many of the more recent examples I have seen.
J
ColinEdm
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 1,229 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 07:07 PM UTC
Welcome back to the hobby! Great work on that bust, I hope I can get that good, I have just started to try some figures...not the results I was hoping for, but practice, practice, practice!
SGTEdens
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 08:30 PM UTC
Gentlemen, thank you for all the encouragement. I'm sorry to hear we have so many in the hobby with injuries that prevents us the skill we aspire to. But also glad to hear we all keep plugging away with our brushes. I am trying to find better pictures of the bust and will post them later today.
Rick.
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 09:22 PM UTC
Welcome back. The helmet looks particularly good to me.
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 09:36 PM UTC
Rick,
I'm on the sick list as well but I can tell you your painting is top notch. I couldn't do anything like that in my best years. Keep up the fight and welcome back.
John
SGTEdens
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 06:06 PM UTC
Thank you John, that came from my old armor days. Paul thank you for your kind words. maybe we should start a campaign named sick call . For everyone with a disability that still enjoys the hobby? I have lost my photos so I will take some more today better one's and post them asap.
RICK
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 08:11 PM UTC
Rick,
That's an excellent idea for a campaign. With my diabetes causing failing eyesight and tremors in my hands I think I would qualify. The quality of my builds is not great but it gives me enjoyment, which I think is the main point. It's a hobby, not a career. Count me in if it gets clicking.
Thanks
John
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 09:44 PM UTC
First let me say welcome back.Your painting skills look great and is much better than mine.
Me109G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 09:57 PM UTC
Welcome back sir! Fine looking paint job regardless of any medical condition or not. Nicely done!!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2016 - 11:28 PM UTC
Rick,

Welcome back! Modeling is great therapy and a pleasant elixir.

I concur with the others - your work is better after your surgery than mine is now!

SGTEdens
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2016 - 07:17 PM UTC
Thank you gentlemen for all the very kind words. I agree that painting is very theraputic. I am new here so I have no clue how to get a campaign started but I will look into it. I have not found all my pictures of this model (must be on my broken computer ). but I will eventually get them and then post them. again thanks to all your comments.
Rick
Removed by original poster on 05/29/16 - 21:56:27 (GMT).
SGTEdens
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 10:09 AM UTC
I must be losing my mind I have tried all day to post some photos and I can even upload to a new album to even try to put them on a thread. I see when I add them they say successful but they never make it to the folder . if anyone knows why im all ears . thank you
RICK
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 12:58 PM UTC
Welcome back to the hobby Rick. I'm guessing the issue may be on the size of your pics -- I understand the gallery accepts 800 x 600 pixels at the maximum. Cheers, Tat
SGTEdens
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 09:39 AM UTC
Tat you are correct. now I must ask one more question how do I shrink the photos to make them uploadable?
RICK.
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 03:28 PM UTC
Rick, I use a PC and it has a couple of basic photo / graphic editors from Microsoft -- MS Paint and MS Office. Either software has the feature to resize an image, so I just type in 800 x 600 pixels, save it, and its good to go for upload. There are other photo editors out there, which I believe can do the same. Maybe the other folks can chime in with their favorite app, and you can choose what works best for you. Cheers, Tat
Thirian24
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 2,493 posts
Armorama: 2,344 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 07:03 PM UTC
Rick,

Very nice work sir. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.
 _GOTOTOP