_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Beaten up Panther
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2016 - 07:41 PM UTC
It's the Dragon Panther A kit from the "Black Knight" series, been in a state of semi-started for two years but I finally decided to get it done. I've got a Verlinden damaged zimmerit set, but I'm doing some sculpting as well (like the gun mantlet). A lot of the stowage and tools will be wrecked or missing altogether, since the tank is going to be depicted as having narrowly avoided death via fighter-bombers. I haven't ruled out any other AM kits for it yet, but I'm probably going to do this OOTB with the exception of the zimmerit.

Just some rough pics now

IMG_3996 by mullinator7, on Flickr

IMG_3997 by mullinator7, on Flickr

IMG_3998 by mullinator7, on Flickr

IMG_3999 by mullinator7, on Flickr

My work on the gun mantlet is not as great as I thought it did 2 years ago, but it will work. Worst case scenario I'll take care of the rough parts with "battle damage," i.e. my hobby knife.

What do you guys think? This is just the start, so I'm open to suggestion and fixing things.

-Conor
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2016 - 04:44 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing Conor. Good to see a different zimm pattern modelled. I find the mantlet zimm a bit thick -- is it possible to sand it down, and re-scribe? Cheers, Tat
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 09:58 AM UTC
Thanks Tat,

so far it's a bit of a pain. While the brass is a tad thick, the issue is that since it needs to be super glued it's hard to get things to sit just right and I need putty to stick in gaps between the plastic and brass. However when the brass is off sides a bit, it's actually possibly to sand it down a bit. Luckily, since the panther is a beaten up one, a lot of the short-comings caused by the zimmerit will look more or less natural.

Biggest issue, though, is that for some reason the zimm never seems to fit! Oh well.

Thanks!

-Conor
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Tat,

so far it's a bit of a pain. While the brass is a tad thick, the issue is that since it needs to be super glued it's hard to get things to sit just right and I need putty to stick in gaps between the plastic and brass. However when the brass is off sides a bit, it's actually possibly to sand it down a bit. Luckily, since the panther is a beaten up one, a lot of the short-comings caused by the zimmerit will look more or less natural.

Biggest issue, though, is that for some reason the zimm never seems to fit! Oh well.

Thanks!

-Conor

Hi, Conor! I'm thinking that the old VERLINDEN metal Zimmerit set that you are using was originally intended for one of the old TAMIYA Panther kits..? Not sure about that, but it may be a plausible explanation for the "poor" fit on your DRAGON Panther..?
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2016 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Tat,

Thanks!

-Conor

Hi, Conor! I'm thinking that the old VERLINDEN metal Zimmerit set that you are using was originally intended for one of the old TAMIYA Panther kits..? Not sure about that, but it may be a plausible explanation for the "poor" fit on your DRAGON Panther..?

Good guess, but it's specifically for the Dragon one! Don't get me wrong, some fit is good, elsewhere is a pain. A bunch of little adjustments that just drain my motivation. But the tassel will be worth the hassle I think.

Thanks!

-Conor
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 04:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Tat,

Thanks!

-Conor

Good guess, but it's specifically for the Dragon one! Don't get me wrong, some fit is good, elsewhere is a pain. A bunch of little adjustments that just drain my motivation. But the tassel will be worth the hassle I think.

Thanks!

-Conor

Conor- You may want to invest in an ATAK resin Zimmerit set, even this late in the game. ATAK Zimmerit sets fit very nicely on anything that they are specifically made for. Barring that, y7ou may also want to try EDUARD's Zimmerit sets; ATAK resin Zimmerit sets also supply VERY NICE Gun Mantlets, so that saves you the time in trying to build your own Zimmerit up on the Mantlet with sculpting putty. I prefer the ATAK resin sets, myself...
 _GOTOTOP