_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New Feature - Cobblestones
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 03:55 AM UTC
I have just added a feature written by Adrian Nyffenegger about how he made a cobble stone street for a diorama.

Please take a look at Adrians technique here

Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 04:16 AM UTC
Great feature.

The only thing I a worried about: I heard that the lentices have the habbit of succking up the moisture and then swell up and/or rotten?
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 05:27 AM UTC
I had the problem with them swelling on my first diorama. It was odd though as I coated the cobbled surfaces with 50/50 glue and water and that didnt make them swell, it was when I rubbed the wall spackle between them that made them swell. This technique should do away with that. Cheers Kevin
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 05:58 AM UTC
Adrian,
cheap, easy and effective!!! Thanks for sharing.
Ciao
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 07:29 PM UTC
Wonderful information.... give us an update in 6 weeks about the condition of the beans!
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 07:49 PM UTC
i believe that 1-2 coats of a hard floor 2 parts varnish that dries in a minute will do the work and seal them for drinkin water !!!!
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 01:10 AM UTC
Hello guys

Thanks for your coments.
The diorama is now eight weeks old and the lentils looks like new ones. They didn't swell up.
mastertyno
Visit this Community
Porto, Portugal
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 04:10 AM UTC
well now all we can do is try it by ourselfs... But is with out a doubt a fine tecnique...

See yaaa
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 06:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The only thing I a worried about: I heard that the lentices have the habbit of succking up the moisture and then swell up and/or rotten?

When I was a lad we used to bake "conkers" to make them hard. Very low heat and a very long time. It dried the horse chestnuts out completely.
Just a thought...maybe the lentils could be treated the same way and when coated with varnishes it may help prevent swelling?
Or once baked spray them with the varnish prior to assembly...??
They look too good to be ignored.
Cheers
Peter
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 08:06 PM UTC
Great feature !

Let us know how the lentices do in a couple of weeks. I don't think they will cause a problem, but I would like to know for sure.
povolo
Visit this Community
Zeeland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 10:51 PM UTC
Hai Danny,
I have used on my dio lentils for about two years ago. I filled the space between the lentils with plaster of paris. Verry wet stuff. Then i airbrushed them, drybrushed them.
There is still nothing to see of rotting or something else.
Marc.
dedox
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:17 AM UTC
I have tried my self a couple of lentis/cobblestone with success but: I an not sure they in 1:35 scale! I have seen many, both round and square, cobblestone pavements and usually you have about two or three cobbles under your feet. I then saerched for children pasta and found a small cilinder size type. I builted a container with cardboard stripes (the size of my road) and filled with the pasta. Then I laied on top a stripe of (white) pre-glued paper: very, very gently! then pressed the paper. After it dryied I turned it up side downs and put in place.
I rubbed the surface with a thin layer of plaster and painted. To me it looks more like in scale! dedox.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 - 05:03 PM UTC
Another method that i have tried that does excellent scale is BRASS "BB's".... like the kind you would use for an air rifle. Spread them out on a sheet of sponge tape, press them into place, When everything is dry, I hit them with a coat of white flat primer, and then fill the gaps with spackle. Once everything is dry, i come pack and do my washes and touchup paint.

The scale seems quite perfect (smaller stones than lentils), and you never have to worry about anything! Cheap too!
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
Armorama: 318 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:08 AM UTC
The lentil method looks great, but I've got an alternate suggestion that might work also. Check out "Drywall for modeling" on the Scratchbuilder's Forum.

Thanx,

Art
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 03:15 AM UTC
Very nice! Now where can I use that? Maybe on my next Sherman project. Thanks for the tips!
ArtistaSLO
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 46 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:07 AM UTC
I did the lentil trick here at home..my first try. Here is how it went. No shellac/varnish. I had a bag of dried lentils from the market. I layed the lentils on a 100% white glue "mastic". Then I over washed them with a sandy/acrylic tinted 50/50 white glue/water "grout". At this point, the thin shell of the lentils shriveled up, some simply popping off, most shriveling. I used a damp scrubby sponge (scotchbrite) and scrubbed 75% of the wrinkled shells off. The rest I could not remove. I overwashed acrylics with assorted techniques to bring back color. As of this point, 1 week, all is well.

Now a bit wiser, I would suggest a long low heat to dry them completely, then possibly "shuck" them somehow. Hairspray them, the hairspray acts as a varnish, and should probably be sprayed on the beans before they are placed. Shellac is also a good idea because it is alchohol based, and can be painted with water based paints. I definitely will shellac them before I "grout" next time. Pix enclosed https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/4176Cobbles_01.jpg
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/4176Cobbles_02.jpg
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:58 AM UTC
There was an article similar to this on Docīs dios. Looked really well when done. I tried it, but used the lentils with skin on them. Needless to say when the wet grout hit them, it softened the skins and they lifted. After placing maybe 1000 lentils on double sided sticky tape, I was a tad upset, to say the least. So remember ... use the skinless type.
I have a smaller vignette where I used this method again. After 1.5 years it still looks perfect. Even if the lentils rot ... the plaster and paint layers keep them contained and shouldnīt be subjected to the abuse that would break them in.
Good article Adrian. This subject has come up several times and now theres a well explained article to show folks. The dio turned out stunning as well!
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 08:21 PM UTC
Hello guys
Thanks for your interests on my feature. The dio is now 3 months old and the lentils looks still good. I think, it will be stay like this.

pzgren
SniperSoldier
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 - 03:24 AM UTC
GREAT FEATURE
ROBERTO
 _GOTOTOP