_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
My first shot at tiger 1 with zimmerit
CRO_Bash
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 05:34 PM UTC
Hi all! New guy here!
I have recently started making scale models and i am loving it!
My latest model is the tiger.
I have opted for zvezdas' rendition of the beast as i have great experience with them.
This kit builds nicely out of the box, has full internals for the turret and it is not that expensive (i got it for $30 off of ebay)

As i like to experiment i decided to try to cover the model in zimmerit.After some tinkering in the garage i have found that plaster makes for excellent zimm lookalike.

I applied the zimmerit mid build, before i put on the suspension and details (equipement and boxes). I mixed the plaster with a bit of water, just enough to get a creamy texture, smeared it on the vertical surfaces and textured it with a piece of fine metal saw.

After the model was finished i painted it with tamyia dunkelgelb.

All in all, i believe i did a fine job of portraying an early version of this beautiful tank (for a begginer with 2 models under the belt).

I am open for any advices on how to improve myself, comments and compliments (i hope i will get some hah)

https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/441875/ppuser/72429
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2016 - 08:58 PM UTC
Welcome Matteo ! That is a good looking second effort. I wish that my first homemade zimmerit attempt looked as nice as yours. The more you build the more your skills will improve. Just a little weathering is about all you need on your Tiger. Thank you for sharing !
CRO_Bash
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 12:45 AM UTC
Thanks mate!
Yeah, i am planning on weathering it a bit, but first i will try to make a nice display base for it with some dirt and grass, and then i will weather it accordingly.

The only issue i have is with tamyia dunkelgelb turning greenish after drying (not really visible on the pictures brcause of the lightning, irl it is greenish). I was aiming for a lighter colour. But i saw on another forum that people have mixed dunkelgelb with buff in 50:50 ratio which gave a nice shade of yellow.
I have a king tiger ready to build and i will try to mix something up to get a nicer shade. My aim is the paint color seen on warthunders's king tiger (as seen here: )
 _GOTOTOP