_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
German Officer
Belgian
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 08:30 AM UTC
I posted some pics with my latest little dio in my gallery. It's a German tank officer from the Italeri German Tank Crew kit.
The figures have no detail, but I got the kit as a present. So I'm practicing on them.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!!

meissen
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 257 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 09:07 AM UTC
thats a very nice little dio. you are off to a good start on your figures. the detail on the jacket is quite good. what did you use for grass? here is a pic of the dio.

Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 07:47 PM UTC
Nice lil thingie you made there !!! Good effort i like a lot this small vigniettes You re on a good way to dioramist school
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 08:30 PM UTC
hi Belgian,
this is a nice vignette.the groundwork, the roadsigns and the rusty effect on barrel looks good. the figure is good painted too but needs some weathering. for the next time you can paint the white linings in the german officers hat. you can paint the white lines first and then make it thin enough painting the 2 sides in the hat color. the easiest way to wetaher a figures clothing is to use pastel chalks. you can use darker tones of gray in the wrinkles of clothing and it will bring a depth to the figures cloths. Please read some articles on figure painting,you can fnd them in features and you will see they will add some many things to your painting.
I liked the mortar team diorama too,but the uniform and the accesories must have some different tones. The diobase with the command post looks great there.
Finally, I believe you will make big steps in a short time and we will see very good builds on your side soon.
P.S : Italeri German tank Crew kit has another good figure to paint and represent as a single vignette. The officer in great coat with hands in pockets and a monoocle in the eye. I like this figure so much.
best regards
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 08:35 PM UTC
Like said before...the vignette looks very good. When you can do some paintmagic on the figure, it will look even better if not great.

Try some shading and highlighting on the figure !

Nice effort, good results. Now let's put in the finishing touch. From what I see in the groundwork, barrel etc., I'm sure you can do magic with the igure too !
Belgian
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 05:08 PM UTC
Thanks for the encouragements and nice comments. Even though a washed the figure with burnt umber, it needs more depth/weathering. I agree.

THANKS!!
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 06:09 AM UTC
Hey Belgian,

Nice job! I was wondering what you used for the grass and dirt. It sure looks better than my attempts.

On a side note, do you have any Belgian blood in you? I ask because my grandma was in Belgium during the war. (I've used her as a good reference for some of the colors of uniforms I've done)
Belgian
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 06:35 PM UTC
Stev-o, the grass is made from some static grass and patches of Woodland Scenic "turf". It's mostly used for model trains.
I'm 100% Belgian and live in California now. My grand father who lived through the two world wars told me the best war stories. Even though he never fought in any war. He was just too young for the great war and had a family of 5 when WWII started.
What did your grandma do in Belgium during the war? What city was she living in?
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 11:05 AM UTC

Belgian,

She's got some Great war stories too. Well, if you can call living through Nazi occupation "great"...Her brother worked in the Belgian underground, bringing small arms to and from trade school to different drop-off points, was ratted out, and taken to a foced labor camp "Breendonk" by the Gestapo. He survived by serving as a tailor to the SS Officers, and escaped off of a moving train that was trying to move the political prisoners to Germany right before the British rolled in.
She actually lived Mechelen (sp?) and saw a flight of Stukas break-off the main attack to bomb the local railroad. She remembers "May 10th" very vividly. She worked in Brussels during the war for a wealthy family and was spared alot of the hardships.
I wish I had met her father...he had the worst timing. Was pressed into forced labor in germany in WWI, came to the US in 1928...then right after the great depression he was back in Belgium for WWII!! I wonder if he would have had similar stories to your grandfather.
A German Gebergs. Reenacting troop tried to recruit me...but I didn't think that Grandma would like to see me dressed up like that with an mp38.
Little off topic on your model, but I'm a history major so...rambling kinda comes naturally!
~ Steve

_GOTOTOP