_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tiger Ausf H1? Is it a variant?
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 11:36 PM UTC
I have seen that the game War Thunder differentiates between the Tiger Ausf. H1 and the Tiger Ausf. E.

They seem to correspond to the commonly known as Early and Mid models.

I have not been able to find any reference to this H1 other than the prototype with 8.8cm gun opposed to another prototype armed with a 7.5cm (H2)

However a photo caption on Panzer Tracts nš 6 says "A Panzerkampfwagen VI (H) Ausf. H1 completed by Henschel in February 1943"

So, was this H1 designation official? For which vehicles?

Thanks in advanced,

Carlos
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 12:38 AM UTC
No. It's one of a number of official names used. The last official designation was Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Ausf.E, which was signed into effect in February 1944 and used until the end of the war.

Some of the people inhabiting gaming sites really don't know what they're prattling on about.
Mannloon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have seen that the game War Thunder differentiates between the Tiger Ausf. H1 and the Tiger Ausf. E.

They seem to correspond to the commonly known as Early and Mid models.

I have not been able to find any reference to this H1 other than the prototype with 8.8cm gun opposed to another prototype armed with a 7.5cm (H2)

However a photo caption on Panzer Tracts nš 6 says "A Panzerkampfwagen VI (H) Ausf. H1 completed by Henschel in February 1943"

So, was this H1 designation official? For which vehicles?

Thanks in advanced,

Carlos

I talked with David Byrden about this and he said the tank was referred to as H1 by Wa Prüf 6, which is essentially the Panzer and Motorized Equipment Branch of the Wehrmacht weapons agency. All other documents refer to it as E. I have gotten in to a few heated arguments with people that watch my YouTube videos and tell me what I built was an H not an E or something annoying. Curiously Hilary Doyle does refer to it as H1 in DW to Tiger I , and then E. I've not made it through that book yet as it's a tough read, but from what I can tell those in the know and myself always call it E. Just E intial, early, mid and late.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 12:32 PM UTC
Wonder why they decided that start with the ausf E instead of Ausf A?
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 05:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The guy responsible for naming vehicles had spent many years pre war in Yorkshire. When ask the new name he had a think and said "eeeeeeh"
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 05:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The guy responsible for naming vehicles had spent many years pre war in Yorkshire. When ask the new name he had a think and said "eeeeeeh"

_GOTOTOP