_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
MAFVA Nationals 2016 traffic alert
Jimmie
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 12:19 PM UTC
Hi All,
John Paulding has sent in the following information pertinent to anyone planning to travel to the Nationals via the M11 or A505.

Big problem! There is a big problem and I mean a 32 story problem with a flashing lights on the top and a sign that says "Big Problem"!
The matrix sign in the A505/M11 junction is saying "Cereals 2016 - 15th- 16th June". The last time this show was on was two years ago and all the traffic was gridlocked for 8 miles into Cambridge. This will make it impossible to get out of Duxford on the morning of the Nats. I think I'm going to have to find somewhere to stay on Saturday night in St Ives. Any ideas?
We also need to warn anyone coming from East of Cambridge to avoid J10 on the M11 and probably the whole area. Best skirt Cambridge on the A14.
Sorry I didn't know about this before but we didn't get any warning or traffic plans two years ago either. This makes air show days look like waiting for a traffic light to change
See you on Tuesday.
Regards JP

I suggest that you check travel news before or en route, OR travel north using the A1(M). The event http://www.cerealsevent.co.uk/ is actually 15/16th June, but there could still be 'overspill' as they empty the site.

Be aware!

HTH

Paul Middleton
President, MAFVA
maxim37
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 157 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2016 - 01:11 PM UTC
Hi Paul.
Think there is a pub/motel called the White lion in st.ives which i believe is quite close to the Brampton venue.We the Clacton boys are heading down the A120 and m11 so hoping we dont hit the snarl up.
Cheers from Richard.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 01:05 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

Will this really FUBAR the M11 three days after the event finishes? A quick google suggests it could add an hour to the journey from Dagenham! If this is real, some re-thinking may be in order...

(Gotta say I've never heard of it before, and it's never caused trouble getting as far as DX.)
Jimmie
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 12:50 PM UTC
It is the post event clear up that could possibly cause the traffic problem. Last Tuesday I went up the A550 to Duxford and the footbridge was already up. No telling which day they decide to take the meccano apart..... Lots of 'big' Farmer giles toys to get off site, so perhaps they may decide to use the Sunday when there is little traffic..... And farmers are early risers....
Be aware and check the traffic reports if you can. JP lives in Duxford village and the event causes mayhem.

HTH

Paul M.
 _GOTOTOP