Hosted by Darren Baker
does this look right?
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 11:21 AM UTC
I have resumed work on the wall of my eastern european dio. I am looking for input on whether or not the capstones look correct for a wall like this. Any and all comments are welcome.

Cheers Kevin
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 12:01 PM UTC
I'm not convinced you would have such an intricate and ornate wall next to a wooden house!!!!.

Surely a wooden fence would be more appropriate. One thing you'd have to ask is where the rocks came from and why they weren't used in a more important role than a wall ( like instead for the house itself ). The other thing is would that sort of wall be appropriate for the rural russia thats implied by the house it looks more western european.

my 2c

Tony

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 12:15 PM UTC
You've done a killer job on the wall. I do tend to lean toward the fact that walls of this type of stone near a barn on a farm would have been built from field stones the farmer cleared from his field. They would be stacked as a wall separating his property. I don't know if they would have capped it?
The cap is GREAT, looks really good.

I do like the new height of the wall, it looks much better shorter.

Honestly, if you left the wall and said it was a farm near a town edge it would be fine.
Katyusha
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 03:00 PM UTC
You good on the house, thats pretty much exactly like the houses there, but though you worked very hard on the stone wall it looks like, there werent any of tgose out in the country, in russia. You might find walls like that somewhere in the urals, but not out in the middle of the country. My suggestion is that you either remove the wall and replace it with a wooden fence, or save the dio for something with americans in it. What else you could do is make a somewhat sunken road, running along side where the wall was (They rarely ever used pavement in russia unless it was a very large town or city). Then replace the wall with a fence. But this is just my opinion.

Katyusha
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 04:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do tend to lean toward the fact that walls of this type of stone near a barn on a farm would have been built from field stones the farmer cleared from his field. They would be stacked as a wall separating his property. .

Why would you need so much structural integrity in a wall. That premise would be fine if it were a dry stone wall. Availability of such a great building material would have gone instead into doing the lower parts of a house or barn not a wall. Also Cement would have been a very expensive and I would imagine rare item in rural russia.

Tony
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 07:07 PM UTC
man your rock wall is fantastic and is exactly how we make em for 100's of years in the Greek island . Can i order you one for the dio i wanna make in the Greek country ? i like it a lot . Nice work there buddy .
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 05:47 AM UTC
I want to thank everyone for there comments. Major Goose if you really would like a wall like that i would be happy to build one for you. But there seems to be a lot of debate whether this type of wall would be found in a rural eastern european setting. So here is the reference photo I was loosely basing the wall on.

I am just not sure I am happy with the cap stones on this fence, maybe the walls extruding stones should be cut down more flush with the wall then the capstone wouldnt appear out of place. Or should I just leave the capstones off completely? hmmm any suggestions as they are not mounted down yet? And Slodder i have another pic of this wall and it was pretty tall, but I like it shorter as to your suggestion. There are a couple rooftops in the background so maybe it is on the edge of a village, I am certain though it was photos of a rural area when i found it.Cheers Kevin
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hello again i have decided to post the other reference photo of the wall i was basing mine on.

now should i cut down the stones to make the walls flush or leave the stones protruding?I feel the raw field stones add more too it though. thanks Kevin
ambrose82
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 12:10 PM UTC
If you're talking about rural eastern european dirt poor farm areas, lose the capstones. Even if it's a more upscale area, you'd be totally safe without the capstones. Capstones, stricly speaking are unnecessary and decorative in farm life. Chances are they would not be there. In any case, nobody will question the lack of capstones. If you're questioning it, better to leave it off.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 12:27 PM UTC
Nice, pictures tell it all, they're worth 1000 words. So, I sit corrected, go for it.
If you're not depicting an exact location or unit the feel free to have some creative license.

As far as comparing your wall to the photo, the base rocks on your wall are a bit rounded as compared to the picture. I don't think that draws away from your wall. The cap will look much better once it's painted.

I'd say keep on keepin'on!
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 06:34 PM UTC
i believe that the wall has to be like it is leave it alone . the main difference from your wall and the first picture you post here (and i speak as a man that have builded these walls for his home in the island) is that your will give the impression that the stones are connected with cement and the one in the pictures is probably like the old style we used to build them in Greek islands was called "drystone"(free translation) which means stones putted one over the other and sculpted a lil to fit and stick well with out connecting material. So i believe you have to bet on this more. Even your stones look lil more rounded that the orthogonal look that the picture wall has.But i can show you many pictures from the way i live that next door houses have totally different stone walls even if maded in the same era. So i think you can procceed as youre going .

p.s. By the way i ll take the offer for a nice wall build !!!!!! My next Crete island German Paratroopers dio can have it !!!!!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 02:14 PM UTC
Hi jackhammar. Although the wall looks great .. I also feel its a little out of place. The capping definately. Ive seen many dry stone walls and have never seen capping ... usually only when the wall is built around a dwelling more than a barn ... but whos to say theres not a dwelling on this site also?? The stone used to build these walls is found nearby or at at least locally. The wall in your reference picture is cut stone.
Around most farms and animal enclosures here in sweden they use a simple fence nade from branches. 2 uprights every few feet and straight branches layed diagonally between them. I could believe this would be common in russia as well!
This is the only picture I could find ... there is a small fence in front of the barns. If it is not clear enough, i can make a simple drawing.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 02:56 PM UTC

Hey PB, That looks like an old Swedish Farm from up north, could even be from Skansen Brings back some very found memories from the homeland
Angelus
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 03:30 PM UTC
As pointed out by Major Goose the wall in the photo's is a dry stone wall. The roof of the house visible over the wall in the first photo is a good indication of the pictures locale. The roof is a steep pitched roof of tiles on a 2 storey structure. The ornamentation of the roof ends looks quite flemish to me. The steep pitch indicates and area of high snow fall. That sort of house and therefore the wall belongs in a fairly urban environment, say a town in a rural area. This is also pointed to by the skill of the artisan who had made the wall. Its reasonably well made but closer to cities where the better tradesmen would have been the fit would probably be better and the finish would be closer.

The type of fence shown in PB's post would be far more fitting with the house in the diorama.

Tony
 _GOTOTOP