_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Painting details on kit vs. off kit.
FrozinRonin
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hello all,

First time poster and getting back into modeling since I was 19 (I'm 38 now). That game World of Tanks on the XBox reminded me that I could build mini tanks.

Anyway, how do you decide whether to paint something like a pioneer kit or shovel on a vehicle vs. painting it separately and then gluing it on? What are your techniques? Is it best to scrape paint off to use cement or do you use super glue?

See how confused I am? Thanks for any help.

Adam
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2016 - 09:15 PM UTC
I paint as much as I can on the model, otherwise you need to re-paint, re-weather, etc.

A tip from Mike Rinaldi is to slide a piece of paper underneath fe a tool you're painting on the vehicle. That way you don't unintentionaly paint the model underneath the tool.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 01:19 AM UTC
Tools are better to be painted separately... but it all depends on your preference - try what works for you.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 01:22 AM UTC
I paint all the tools and cables on the tank.A sure hand and use of post-its slid underneath or against as a mask.And I must say with practice,I have gotten good with it.
Szmann
Visit this Community
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Armorama: 305 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 02:10 AM UTC
I use both techniques. While is easier to paint details on, first I make sure if I can access all areas needed to be painted. An engine, for example: I'll paint the block and head after assembly, even they have different colors, but I'll paint the distribution / fan belt / fan assembly separately, because afterwards I won't be able to reach behind them; sometimes the pictures will show exactly that...
With little practice, you'll find soon what is best for you.

Cheers!
Gabriel
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 02:44 AM UTC
I used to paint tools separately then add them on but I noticed glue stains (liquid glue) on the paint job afterwards. I am going to try painting them on the model with careful attention to protecting the finish underneath.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2016 - 12:06 PM UTC
I like also to paint as much as possible in place, with some care it is not that difficult.

Wax paper (for ovens) works great to protect the paint under the tools, it is quite thin and does not soak.
 _GOTOTOP