_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Best Dragon Tiger 1?
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 10:25 AM UTC
Ok I know recent releases don't have Magic Tracks (though I might be getting some soon). Which is the best most up to date Tiger 1 with all of these features and even more (early, mid and late) ----

One piece main gun barrel

Slide moulded machine gun with pre-drilled barrel (like with the King Tigers w/Zimmerit)

All periscopes and lights in clear plastic

Zimmerit and no zimmerit applicable to the model in the box

Any other up to date features
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 2,233 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 01:03 PM UTC
I don't believe that Dragon have any Tigers where the Zimmerit is optional for "the model in the box" (if you mean that some decal options need it, and some do not).

In fact, I don't think that ANY model brand has a Tiger like that. Very few Tigers meet that description.

David
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 02:28 PM UTC
I think Italeri gives you the option for zimmerit or no zimmerit in their WOT rebox of their old Tiger 1, but that's all.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 05:27 PM UTC
Yes, but then, Italeri's kit is not attempting to model any real Tigers. The decal sheet is fantasy.

Maybe you could clarify the question, David. Are you looking for a kit where the Zimmerit just happens to be separate parts, or a kit that models real Tigers that did and didn't have Zimmerit?

David
Mannloon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 - 05:43 PM UTC
If I just base my answer on your title and first sentence I may be able to help. I'll give you what I would recommend as the best Dragon Tiger kits for each version of Tiger I.

Initial, 6608. It's great and finally ended any need to pay $500 for the old White Box.

Early, 6820. Yes parts for Tiger 131, but all of the parts from 6730 are in there. So if you hunt down some decals you could make most early Tigers.

Mid, 6700. The only game in town. Not bad at all, I had a little issue with the turret fitting the ring, but you can sand that. Otherwise, beautiful build.

Late, 6383. The oldest kit listed here, but I loved the build. People complain the Zimmerit is out of scale and it may be, but it builds up wonderfully.

There certainly is no kit with all options. But there is a good kit of most types of Tiger. That being said I have replaced the tracks on all Tiger kits I build except for Rye Field. I find DS doesn't look real enough so I buy either Kaizen, Friul, AFV Club, or Modelkasten for all of my Tiger builds. Even the old Dragon kits from 2005 had tracks with solid guide horns. So really there has never been a Dragon Tiger with adequate tracks. That's my opinion of course. Some people think the DS is fine.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't believe that Dragon have any Tigers where the Zimmerit is optional for "the model in the box" (if you mean that some decal options need it, and some do not).

In fact, I don't think that ANY model brand has a Tiger like that. Very few Tigers meet that description.

David

I think I should have worded it better. What I meant was --- does the Tiger in the box have zimmerit when it should have zimmerit or does it not have zimmerit when it shouldn't. In other words I don't want to buy a Tiger that should have zimmerit and the kit in the box doesn't have it. I want it as accurate as possible. Obviously until Dragon started adding it's own zimmerit some of the earlier Tiger releases were inaccurate as they didn't have zimmerit when they should. Hope that makes sense.

I want the kit to be basically just about everything in one box with all the above features.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I just base my answer on your title and first sentence I may be able to help. I'll give you what I would recommend as the best Dragon Tiger kits for each version of Tiger I.

Initial, 6608. It's great and finally ended any need to pay $500 for the old White Box.

Early, 6820. Yes parts for Tiger 131, but all of the parts from 6730 are in there. So if you hunt down some decals you could make most early Tigers.

Mid, 6700. The only game in town. Not bad at all, I had a little issue with the turret fitting the ring, but you can sand that. Otherwise, beautiful build.

Late, 6383. The oldest kit listed here, but I loved the build. People complain the Zimmerit is out of scale and it may be, but it builds up wonderfully.

There certainly is no kit with all options. But there is a good kit of most types of Tiger. That being said I have replaced the tracks on all Tiger kits I build except for Rye Field. I find DS doesn't look real enough so I buy either Kaizen, Friul, AFV Club, or Modelkasten for all of my Tiger builds. Even the old Dragon kits from 2005 had tracks with solid guide horns. So really there has never been a Dragon Tiger with adequate tracks. That's my opinion of course. Some people think the DS is fine.

Thanks for those. I've been eyeing up 6700 as one of the possibles. What are the machine gun barrels like on those? Are they pre-drilled and multi part like the machine gun in the King Tiger w/zimmerits?
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 07:49 AM UTC
Don't forget that there is some great add on Zimm if you need it. Don't make the zimm the deciding point.
Mannloon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks for those. I've been eyeing up 6700 as one of the possibles. What are the machine gun barrels like on those? Are they pre-drilled and multi part like the machine gun in the King Tiger w/zimmerits?

All of the bits like MG34s are top notch. The only thing I would change is the tracks. I believe if you did a recent KT it would be the same litle assembly for the MGs. I have a video review in-box and post build of 6700 up on YouTube. As well as many other Tiger kits.

Post build comments at the 35:00 minute mark. I make much shorter videos now, but this was when I started.
https://youtu.be/ypdCEOQiQ6E
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't forget that there is some great add on Zimm if you need it. Don't make the zimm the deciding point.

Good point but because I've got a few German tanks on the go with the hated double sets of roadwheels the less work I have to do the better. Basically I'm either doing a Tiger with Dragons pre-done zimmerit or one without that shouldn't have zimmerit anyway. Apart from the tracks I want everything in the box.
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

All of the bits like MG34s are top notch. The only thing I would change is the tracks. I believe if you did a recent KT it would be the same litle assembly for the MGs. I have a video review in-box and post build of 6700 up on YouTube. As well as many other Tiger kits.

Post build comments at the 35:00 minute mark. I make much shorter videos now, but this was when I started.
https://youtu.be/ypdCEOQiQ6E

Many thanks for that. I'll take a look!
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 01:15 PM UTC
I participated in most Dragon Tigers but some I am more happy with, and 6700 is one. It's missing a horseshoe and one decal is slightly wrong, otherwise it's great.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:41 PM UTC
Dragon's zimmerit is molded right into the plastic. Pretty nice kits.
Mannloon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 11:55 PM UTC
Which marking needs the Horseshoe? And I agree, it's great.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Which marking needs the Horseshoe?

Tiger 113, s.Pz.Abt. 507

brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 05:26 AM UTC
David, thanks to your comment re: 6700 I now have a mid production Tiger to go with my early and late.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon's zimmerit is molded right into the plastic. Pretty nice kits.

Having seen real zimmerit, The Dragon zimmerit doesn't look right to me. Never said anything about it till some guys from the Amps chapter said the same thing. Buy a regular Tiger, and get the ATAK set. Looks 100% better. But on the otherhand I thought they did a pretty good job with their version of the waffle zimmerit in their Stug kit.

gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 01:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok I know recent releases don't have Magic Tracks (though I might be getting some soon). Which is the best most up to date Tiger 1 with all of these features and even more (early, mid and late) ----

Slide moulded machine gun with pre-drilled barrel (like with the King Tigers w/Zimmerit)

trickymissfit
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 01:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

for an early Tiger, I like the Rye Field kit. I'm not slightly interested in the kits with an interior. Dragon kits don't come with a metal barrel anymore, and the last two I bought came with rubber band tracks. The new Tamiya is pretty nice and priced right ($44 verses $75)
gary
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 03:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

for an early Tiger, I like the Rye Field kit. I'm not slightly interested in the kits with an interior. Dragon kits don't come with a metal barrel anymore, and the last two I bought came with rubber band tracks. The new Tamiya is pretty nice and priced right ($44 verses $75)
gary

Tamiya has a new early Tiger ??

The two new Dragon earlys are pretty nice 6608 and 6820 despite the DS tracks,also the barrels aren't metal,but are not molded in halves.
Byrden
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:18 PM UTC
Dragon have been using DS tracks as standard in their Tigers for years now. Apart from that, they put out some very accurate Tiger kits - and some that are not, e.g. the "alternate timeline" Tiger H2.

Rye Field Tigers are lower in cost but there is a corresponding reduction in accuracy, if that's what you care about.

David
Mannloon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 05:26 PM UTC
agreed.
trickymissfit
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gary

The two new Dragon earlys are pretty nice 6608 and 6820 despite the DS tracks,also the barrels aren't metal,but are not molded in halves.

Never said the Tamiya Tiger was anything. Just that their newest Tiger is pretty nice for $44. Samething for the Rye Field Tigers @ $53.
gary
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 04:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

gary

Never said the Tamiya Tiger was anything. Just that their newest Tiger is pretty nice for $44. Samething for the Rye Field Tigers @ $53.
gary

Read your quote,you didn't say newest,you said NEW,just repeating what you said
 _GOTOTOP