_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Stowage boxes on Pz III at Stalingrad?
lucasner
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 09:50 AM UTC
Were the long stowage boxes on the rear of the engine decks of Pz IIIs of the 24 Pz Div at Stalingrad universal? I think every pic I have seen of them has that box, but the Dragon Pz III Ausf J for the 24th does not have one, nor do a number of color profiles I have found on the web. Now I am WELL aware that Dragon is often in error, and that you can't always trust color profiles...but, would it be accurate to build a 24 pz div panzer III at Stalingrad WITHOUT that box?

Thanks in advance
Dave Lueck
Homer0331
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 10:13 PM UTC
Perusing Google images leads me to believe those boxes were a hallmark of the division. That said they could be regiment or battalion specific.

Why don't you just make one? Spend a couple of dollars on a plastic "For Sale" sign at the local big box store and eyeball the shape. It's pretty clear in photos just how large the box is.

Or....

http://www.tankworkshop.com/newshop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=215
lucasner
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 - 01:52 AM UTC
Ian, I am just pursuing doing a Stalingrad tank because I bought Legends stowage set with jerry csn racks and now I'm just considering marking options. I have no problem scratching a box, but the model, as it sits now, doesn't have one and I really like the jerry can rack. And I agree...I spent quite a while googling these things, and the 5 or 6 pics that always come up all have the storage box. I just don't wanna do another DAK panzer...LOL
Thanks
 _GOTOTOP